• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

silver wire inlay

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike garner

40 Cal.
Reaction score
we are thinking about putting some silver wire inlay in the early Virginia flintlock you folks have been helping me with. it is coming along great. what would be the best wire to put in it if I decide to? what thickness? any advice and tips on how to will definitely be apprecheated.......

1/16" about 5/64" wide strip that you anneal and slightly bevel one edge. Use a file fixed in your vice to draw the strip across to leave length wise scratches on one side to help the finished inlay stay in place. Same if you use brass.
Make up some tools to stab in the pattern and tap the strips in edge wise.
Try a bit of practice on simulure wood.

I have seen it done and read articles on the process. But, good wire inlay only seems to happen when skilled craftsmen do it. I did some experimenting once and, for the umpteenth time, proved I am not a skilled craftsman. Basically, you get an old chisel and grind equal bevels on both sides. Lay out yer pattern and tap the tool into the wood then using a non-marring hammer tap the wire into the grooves you just made. Sand over until smooth. Easy peasy. :rotf: An internet search will find you vendors for silver wire. In many cases you might be just as happy using German silver.

I've had good luck with brass and German silver wire in .008 and .014 thicknesses. It comes in 36" lengths.

I buy it at Muzzleloader Builder's Supply.
https://www.muzzleloaderbuilderssupply.com/mbs3cart/agora.cgi

I haven't used the real silver wire yet but you can be sure it is rather soft.

I mention this because if you cut the channel for the wire like I do, using short lengths of sharpened hack saw blades, the channel will only be about .022 wide and it tends to close up when you pull the tool out of the groove.

While you won't need to hammer the wire into the groove, it will need to be pushed in place using something hard.

As both the brass and German silver is harder than silver, it is less likely to bend or fold over when your pushing it into place.

34899561394_8800318ed2_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Dixiecat,
It is the Photobucket curse for old posts. I'll post a couple of pictures below but the main thing is the text in that thread. Many of the details of wire inlay are discussed if you read down through it.

dave
MV5lgjR.jpg

0C7MWtl.jpg

ISpp21L.jpg

as usual, drool- worthy work ... mine pretty much is an embarrassment by comparison ... you will need to make the mini chisels out of hacksaw blades, which will require annealing and tempering (and all the attendant tinkering which inevitably goes with such projects) ... the result (for me at least) was enormously satisfying: "oh look, look, see, i did it i did it..."

i guess that this makes me a cheap date ...

good luck with you project, and remember to send pictures - we love pictures...

Enclosed are a couple of images of a shotgun and a wheel lock rifle that I wire inlayed in the 1970,3 .If my memory serves me right the flint lock shotgun had 32 feet of wire a slow job
Feltwad
Wheel Lock Rifle

Flintlock Shotgun

Dave Person said:
Hi Feltwad,
Very nice work!

dave
Thanks Fellows it must be 45 years ago when I did them ,now coming on 80 years I am afraid the eyes will not take the strain. It is what I now call reminiscing.
Feltwad

DAAAAAAAM !!!!! That is absolutely beautiful, a work of art. Congratulations on some excellent work. :thumbsup:

some folks take a hack saw blade and make small chisels out of them. I made a set and works great. If you notice some small spaces take a regular iron no steam, just heat ( Med) and just rest it on the area just enough to warm it up and the wood will swell. Any dings on wood this will work and it looks like new. Will not, show again.

Beaver T

Any work I've ever done with a hacksaw blade.....well, frankly it just looks like it! :rotf: :rotf:

Ya the idea came from one of the best builders that I knew, William buchele. He also shows how to make them in his book.

Beaver T

Back