• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting up

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Colorado Clyde said:
The time differential can be adjusted by increasing speed or shortening the distance to the target.
But...we are in the middle of shooting a squirrel in the head 25 yards up in a tree. Not much wiggle room with time in that situation. Or are you hoping the squirrel will run toward you? :haha:

Spence

George said:
Colorado Clyde said:
The time differential can be adjusted by increasing speed or shortening the distance to the target.
But...we are in the middle of shooting a squirrel in the head 25 yards up in a tree. Not much wiggle room with time in that situation. Or are you hoping the squirrel will run toward you? :haha:

Spence

Come to think of it.... :hmm: ...I have had squirrels run towards me.....walk towards me....Had one 2 feet from me and thought it was going to jump right on me..... :shocked2:

Squirrels are fun... :haha:

Colorado Clyde said:
Squirrels are fun... :haha:
I've spent quite some time laughing at the antics of squirrel, ducks and deer. They do the silliest things when they think no one is watching...

My favorite was a mallard that took some issue with another mallard and proceeded to drag it around by the wing on the ice. Squirrels are just idiots :grin:.

George said:
Colorado Clyde said:

Spence

Glad to see you posting again partner. No more of these month-long vacations for fear that we will label you AWOL. :nono:

Missed your posts/threads!:thumbsup:

Best regards, Skychief.

Black Hand said:
I've spent quite some time laughing at the antics of squirrel, ducks and deer. They do the silliest things when they think no one is watching...

My favorite was a mallard that took some issue with another mallard and proceeded to drag it around by the wing on the ice. Squirrels are just idiots :grin:.

:thumbsup:

Have head hit 100s of squirrels, mostly in the trees but some on the ground and it seems to me that "gravity" wasn't a factor that caused a miss.

The flint LR used is .45 cal. and the RBs were unwieghed and not miked swaged Speers or Hornadys and the LR was zeroed at 25 yds.

I've shot squirrels that req'd a nearly vertical hold and other shots that were from nearly vertical to horizontal or even slightly downhill and never changed my sight picture or POA which was always the center of the head if the squirrel 's aspect allowed that.

All this "techy talk" makes me wonder if all through the years, I've been doing it all wrong...in spite of the fact of the 100s of head hits......Fred

Last edited by a moderator:
The error we are discussing is worse for very steep angles, very long distances and very slow bullets. It's possible to calculate the error if you know all three of those parameters. For the usual squirrel shooting situation, we are talking about a pretty small error, in the range of 1/4-inch.

Spence

flehto said:
All this "techy talk" makes me wonder if all through the years, I've been doing it all wrong...in spite of the fact of the 100s of head hits......Fred

No Fred, You've been doing it correctly, and just the same as me.... :hatsoff:

The argument is somewhat sarcastic.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is it about "techy talk" that gets everybody's knickers in a knot?

Spence

Haven't worn knickers since I was 7 yrs old.....am now 86.

Before getting into MLing, I was into bench shooting and all the technical stuff that's necessary to achieve nearly one hole, 5 shot groups at 100 yds. The rifle weighed 19 lbs and had an 18X Unertl 'scope.

Well...my experience w/ my first MLer was an eye opener.....achieved "head hitting" accuracy on squirrels w/o much effort. My 2nd build was my .45 squirrel LR and again the same accuracy was easily achieved.

Perhaps better accuracy could have been achieved using the "techy stuff", but I deemed it unnecessary seeing I no longer "shot paper".

So I sit in the woods enjoying the hunt and when a squirrel presents a shot, my "low tech" MLer hits it smack dab in the head....to my amazement.....and I've been amazed 100s of times.

If some want to get into the "techy stuff", that's good.....Fred

flehto said:
Haven't worn knickers since I was 7 yrs old.....am now 86.
------clip
If some want to get into the "techy stuff", that's good.....Fred
The knickers in that expression are the British ones, aka underwear, not the knee-length golf pants. :grin:

I do both. Best of both worlds, and there is no incompatibility between the two.

Spence

Okay. I aim the same regardless if the squirrel is in a tree or in a hole. I also make sure a tree or limb is there for a backstop.

For RH shooters, lie on your right side and cross your left leg over the right and brace on that. No neck craning and a stable platform. It's not my discovery, by the way.

Colorado Clyde said:
Hunting squirrels from a tree is quite effective, and eliminates shooting up.... :grin:
If you change places with the squirrel, shot down instead of up, the error would be the same.

Spence

You shouldn't propose such hypothetical situations.....because "how high?" is the normal response?

I like your sarcasm .....Fred

Colorado Clyde said:
Hunting squirrels from a tree is quite effective, and eliminates shooting up....

flehto said:
You shouldn't propose such hypothetical situations.....because "how high?" is the normal response?

I like your sarcasm .....Fred

It wasn't a "hypothetical" or sarcasm.... I was serious. I've hunted many squirrels from a tree stand.

Hi...I seem to shoot more squirrels by slowly moving aroun....A tree stand would limit the number of squirrels seen due to lack of mobility.

Seeing shooting up doesn't affect my shooting, why lug around a tree stand?.....Fred

I like to hike myself. Favorite squirrel hunt is leaving car at bottom of mountain, driving up and hunting down hill with GPS. Two different squirrels are available, small lil tree rats (that taste good) and the albert fluffy tailed which also tatse good but can be tough. I like fried squirrel so try for young ones.

And best is ground blind at water hole. That goes fast. Limit 5. Have had 10 (yep really) lined up in a row drinking once. That was in deer season so I didn't shoot. In squirrel season could be a one shot(gun) limit :haha:

flehto said:
Hi...I seem to shoot more squirrels by slowly moving aroun....A tree stand would limit the number of squirrels seen due to lack of mobility.

Seeing shooting up doesn't affect my shooting, why lug around a tree stand?.....Fred

:haha: ......I'd never "lug" a tree stand around for squirrel hunting....I use ones already in place...

Back