• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting a drone w/ muzzleloader?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a couple days ago we had a wildlife burning in an area where a small fire could easily grow large quickly. The quick and efficient remedy was firefighting aircraft. Unfortunately, idiots were flying their drones around the fire. It's a whole new kind of gawker.

The irony is that it was most likely people who live very close by and whose homes would be threatened if the fire took off. As Pogo said, "we have met the enemy and he is us" :haha:

Glad to see the UAS situation resolved itself. Most certainly had to be Pilot Error :doh:

Was at a aviation conference this past fall. A story was told of a father shooting down a Drone that was, to say the least, peeping on his daughter as she was sunbathing in the back yard. The father was nearly thrown in jail because of the reason in my last post.
With that said, I think any father would have done the same, I know I would have.

Clickwhoosh

Yup.

A drone hovering over a backyard taking pictures of a sunbathing daughter would certainly test a fathers won't-power.

I suspect if a good pellet rifle was within hands reach, will-power would triumph over won't-power.

That is, "I WILL blow that damn thing out of the sky" would win over, "I won't shoot it." :rotf:

Bud is a dedicated drone jockey of considerable experience spanning a succession of models.

He reports flying his in an area he new well, but hadn't thought much about. He started hearing sporadic shots, then lots of them. Realized he'd flown it right over a private shooting range.

Good thing he's a former fighter pilot with lots of combat sorties! The drone survived somehow, but he added a big DO NOT FLY zone to his map. Religion comes in all forms. :rotf:

zoning officers, building code inspectors and others, including police are starting to use drones for investigation purposes. Shoot down a government drone being used lawfully and see what happens to you. One county near here has begun using them as part of the real estate assessment procedure. Our privacy is gone.

There might be issues regarding warrants for the police to use it.

I do storm damage repairs and this year I met with an insurance adjuster who wasn't an adjuster at all. Was a kid with a drone hired by the insurance company to fly and photograph the property. He took nearly a thousand photos and the adjuster never left the office.

Just saw a pretty amazing use for a drone today. Visiting friends in a pretty dense neighborhood, a couple of kids in their early teens were spotted rattling doors of unoccupied houses and checking for unlocked cars. Bud launched his drone and followed them with it, shooting video the whole time. Kept it about 100' above them so it was in plain sight and plenty loud.

Sure unnerved the little twerps. Last anyone saw of them, they were pedaling their bikes down the road for all they were worth!

Kinda puts a new twist on Neighborhood Watch, don't it? :rotf:

This discussion of shooting down drones is a very silly one.....although I think that drones should be licensed and a legal reason for flying them is presented to a judge or licensing board. This no doubt will occur if the number of drones becomes troublesome.

Shooting down drones is probably illegal and might interfere w/ law enforcement prodedures....it's a form of "vigilantism" which is an act of bypassing a legal procedure and depending on self help. Too many "self helpers" are breaking the law already and people rationalize their motives and actions and that's one of the reasons US prisons are crowded to over flowing.

If a drone is FREQUENTLY flown over private property , the property owner should make a civil complaint to the police and let them investigate.

I live in a rural area and have never seen a drone and don't think they're very popular as of now, but that might change and that's when strict licensing and enforocement is the solution. Also...drones w/ cameras should only be allowed for law enforcement, not for private use.....Fred

Gotta disagree mightly with most of what you said. When licensing or regulation of almost any activity is mentioned, I respond negatively. Anything new is viewed with distrust and bureaucrats often try to regulate. We see laws in different area prohibiting such things as cell phones, yoga pants, etc. Yes, silly but these are messages that government will run rampant over our lives if we do not restrain those in office. It is not too far in the past where every car tire had to be registered with the Fed. Government. As were inflatable rafts and boats and much more. As for drones, this is a new area of law. IMHO, little to no regulation is needed by the government. Civil laws already are in place to be used in cases of abuse. e.g. spying on girls sunbathing, interfering with air plane traffic, etc. Prohibiting use of cameras would be incredibly sad. Drone photography is opening up a whole new world of possibilities for seeing things.

Evidently you're anti gov't and don't like anyone telling you what to do or how to behave. That's OK in a perfect world, but from a reality standpoint nowadays, the "honor system" doesn't work.

W/o gov't rules and regulations mayhem will prevail.

Trusting people to fly drones w/ cameras w/o intruding into the privacy of individuals is naïve.....people are nosey and will violate an intrinsic freedom that we all cherish....privacy.

I too question gov't rules and regulations, but the gov'ts of the USA through out our history have engendered more freedom than in most countries and still does.

I certainly am not an adversary of our gov't....I want it to function well.....Fred

Pray tell why is the insurance adjuster who uses a drone to inspect roof damage after a storm, suddenly to be forbidden that, or why my friend who not only uses his very large drones to inspect things such as bridges over large bodies of water or under dangerous conditions for failures, as well as using drones for areal footage instead of the much more costly and dangerous use of a 'copter, when video taping various events, suddenly to be put out of business?

How is it that in a place where a helicopter or an airship can venture, let alone a spy satellite, suddenly intruded upon by the presence of a drone with a camera?

LD

We, once again :redface: , have gotten :eek:ff

However....The drones inspecting roofs for the insurance adjuster just cost several insurance adjusters their jobs and the insured policy holders there Face to Face personal feeling of dealing with the CO. MOST insurance companies are not having their adjusters use the drones. They hire it out, so an adjuster scheduled to look at 6 roofs from a wind/hail storm on Tuesday just got replaced by an outside firm that never knocks or calls and flies that dang lil thing over the roof and takes 100 pics in 10 min and then repeats about 20 times.

Same for other industries. Technology IS REPLACING the human worker....rapidly. Soon you will be at a muzzle loader shoot and after all contestants have fired the last round a drone will zoom up and photo the targets and announce the winner :shake:

As for the girl watching and drug delivering stuff.....Geez its the year 2018 and there is no morality left to count on. I see one checking out the wife, daughter, daughter in-law or grand daughter and BOOM I'm off to court :(

Hee Hee ,we have a summer nudist colony just west of where I live,wonder how they feel about them,bet a pilot would get in lots of trouble flying it there!

I have a simple solution that should be amenable and agreeable to everyone.

Every drone should be fitted with an integral transponder That broadcasts the owners ID.
This would be like having caller ID, but for drones. An app to access the info could be on you phone or web accessible..

How is it that in a place where a helicopter or an airship can venture, let alone a spy satellite, suddenly intruded upon by the presence of a drone with a camera?

The major difference is access and availability.

Loyalist Dave said:
Pray tell why is the insurance adjuster who uses a drone to inspect roof damage after a storm, suddenly to be forbidden that . . .

I imagine the insurance adjuster has the homeowner's permission. That would be the difference.

If the insurance adjuster didn't have permission and seemed preoccupied with the section of eves just outside the homeowner's daughter's bedroom window . . . not so much.

Back