• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Share thoughts on first Fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike Brooks said:
Ah shucks guys..... :redface: But, you do realize there are some people on this forum that use my picture for dart board practice, right? :haha:

well... thats only when I am trying to copy some of your engraving.... :redface: :haha: :blah:

Carp said:
I have a sweet, light 20 ga. English fowler (walnut stock, Getz 46" bbl) that I bought from Capt. Jas. a few years back (thank you, sir!). It's built from a Jim Chambers kit, and these are highly recommended by pretty much everybody.
I love my 20 ga, but my idea of the best all-round smoothbore has a bigger bore, like the Chambers New England Fowler/Militia Musket - the second gun down on this page: http://www.flintlocks.com/rifles04.htm

Too bad the LOP on it is a tad long for me... :(

Carp, Long time no see. Good to see you still have that gun. It's a keeper.
I would bet the grip length is a big part of your LOP problem. Without shouldering the gun, grip the wrist and put your trigger finger on the guard behind the trigger as if it's the trigger. It will feel more comfortable for smaller hands. Now mount the gun that way. You should be able to push the gun away from your shoulder at least the difference in distance from your present finger location and the trigger.
Here are pictures of Carp's fowler.
133360131.jpg

133365556.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, Capt! No, the LOP on my/your fowler is fine. I meant that the 14" LOP on that Chambers fowler-musket is a tad too long, or I'd think about buying one. But, I'm happy withthe 20 ga....

I have a Virginia Fowler in 20 guage. 42 inch octagon to round barrel, L&R Queen Anne Lock, walnut and brass built for me by Jackie Brown. No other gun I own fits me like this one. When she comes up, I don't even have to think about aiming, she's right on. I use her on birds mostly. Dove, chukkar and grouse and I am very pleased with how she handles.

Like the boys said, fit is so important. I am blessed to have this one.

Mike Brooks built me a Chambers New England fowler in 12 ga and it is great! I also have a 62 cal TVM fowler which is a good gun too. I think the Chambers gun is more suited to wingshooting since it is bigger bore and also jug choked.

Carp said:
Hey, Capt! No, the LOP on my/your fowler is fine. I meant that the 14" LOP on that Chambers fowler-musket is a tad too long, or I'd think about buying one. But, I'm happy withthe 20 ga....

Well, you could always send it out on indefinate loan to a slightly less altitude challenged good friend and buddy . . . who lives nearby . . . and likes muzzleloaders . . . and would promise to love and cherish it . . .

:redface: I have no shame.

I gotta say my favorite all-around upland game muzzleloader is a 12 bore percussion - just works best in my hands for grouse and rabbits - but I dearly love a good flinter and, if you get a light and fast one, a proper flint fowler would probably be the more pleasurable of the two. As of yet I've never actually owned a light and fast flint fowler.

I can report a Bess is not at its best grouse hunting.

Just personal preferance but I like a rifle (or bow) for squirrel and limit myself to ground or low trunk shots. Locally they are not hard to collect.

Thank you all for you comments. You barrel length of choice seems to be 42" any reason?
As to fit I have looked at the Carolina and English Fowlers (flint I like a challenge)the stocks have different contours. What are your recommendations on that as it would go to fit of gun.

thanks again

What exactly are you calling a "Carolina" fowler? Is it the Carolina gun trade gun or a modern named type of gun?

I do not know. Saw a fowler made by Jackie Brown the person who had it called it a Carolina Fowler. Forgive me for the non-technical jargon but the SC fowler sloped down to the butt of the stock creating a hump if you will. The English Fowler (except early ones) seem to have a straigter line to the butt of the stock.

I do not know. Saw a fowler made by Jackie Brown the person who had it called it a Carolina Fowler.
Those aren't Carolina fowlers, but they are what are currently being called Carolina fowlers by those that don't know any better.
This is what was called a Carolina Folwer in the 18th century.
Carolina gun
Here's another:
Nother Carolina gun

Mike's right here but I believe that Jackie Brown was calling his guns "Carolina Smoothbores" etc based on his living in,I believe,South Carolina before I introduced the term "Carolina Guns" based on research done by Lee Burke which showed the term dating to the mid 18th century in Virginia and the mid 19th century in Britain.This is,I know, confusing but there is a difference.
Tom Patton :v

Sorry very new to this.How about the sloping stock vs the staighter one?

The stock on the First Carolina Fowler looks like it has sharp shelf on top is that true?

42" or longer. Gives you more velocity and better patterns and works fine with patched ball. 48" is practical and still light weight. A fowler barrel is a light tube, not a heavy pipe like a rifle's barrel.

The Carolina gun that Mike makes is light and will make a fine fowler. These stocks manage recoil wonderfully and properly loaded a fowler has very light recoil anyway. The old timers knew what they were doing. It's unlikely that the comb will bite you.

Aaaahh I see, so length will help the pattern.

Thanks also for saying that about the weight I was begining to wonder how heavy it was going to be.
It will be learning experience swing that long of a barrel.

My current plan is to seek a second hand Flinter with at least 41" barrel. Then I think I will have one of the smiths build me a dream gun (with a Jug choke). Thanks to all who posted.

Have you checked Track of the Wolf? They usually have a pretty good sampling of fowlers on their site. A 16 bore with a 42" barrel that uses a true fowler barrel profile will weigh maybe 6 and 1/2 pounds. Could be less.

Back