• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Set trigger on Lyman GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky Johnson

45 Cal.
Reaction score
The length of pull on my GPR is to long for confort. If the back trigger fired it,it would be just right. Now my question is R.E. Davis Co. advertise a replacement trigger that will fit the GPR, will the back trigger fire the gun or dose that straight looking front thing fire it?? :winking: Rocky

Hi Rocky,

I'm not sure about the Davis Co. trigger, but there is another option to consider to fix the pull-length.

You could cut off about 1" of the butt of the gun and reinstall the buttplate. By doing that, you can keep the trigger that came on the rifle. Plus, you could always install a patchbox or something while the gun is in pieces. Just a thought...I've considered doing the same thing.

The rear trigger does not fire the gun, the straight looking front thing (trigger) does. One other thing to look into is a single trigger replacement which may be set back a bit farther, maybe not. I like the idea of moving the buttplate foreward a bit. Are you ready for wood shaping and inletting?

The rear "trigger" is actually just a lever which is cocked by pulling it. It bends a heavy spring and engages a small sear (or catch) which is on the front trigger.
Pulling this front trigger disengages the sear, releasing the rear "trigger" which is driven upward into the locks sear.
When it hits the locks sear and it releases, the hammer falls.

Some of these set triggers can be fired without "setting" or cocking the rear "trigger". When fired this way, the front trigger will require from 1/2 pound to several pounds of pull to fire the gun.
When the rear trigger is "set", the front trigger requires only about 1/2 ounce or less pressure to release the rear "trigger".
Some people call this front trigger (when the rear "trigger" is cocked", a hair trigger because it seems like it only takes a hair pushing it to fire the gun. ::

Thanks to all. I will just use it the way it is,cuting the stock would get the tang sight to close to my eye. Might research the single trigger. Thanks :winking: Rocky

Latest posts

Back