• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Round Ball Buffalo Guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4 bore rifles were used in Africa for big game. That is a 1/4 pound lead ball with a 1 inch diameter. I have shot a 4 bore with a reduced load of 180 grains of 2F. That was a moving experience.

4 bore rifles were used in the US during the American Revolution by both sides. They were called Wall Guns or Amusettes. They were used to set up strong points, reduce strong points and disable enemy artillery.

Many years ago I had the opportunity to examine an original 75 caliber rifle. The barrel had English proofs, but the lock said Pittsburgh. It was a hook breech percussion gun with very fine sights. The barrel was around a yard long and a straight taper. The whole gun weighed about 18 - 20 pounds. At the time, I had the idea that it had a very slow twist. I almost purchased it, but another item caught my eye.

I read an account of how mounted hunters would use a shortened flintlock smoothbore musket, riding close and shooting point blank. They would carry a spare ball in their mouth, reload powder on the fly, spit the ball into the barrel, tamping the butt on the ground to seat it. The touch hole was enlarged to allow powder to prime the lock from the main charge. Not always the safest system.

Don Steele said:
I've hunted both, and will offer the opinion that in general...Cape Buffalo are larger than American Bison.
That impression might be influenced by the fact that Bison are typically shot in open areas, from a little distance. My Cape Buffalo were all shot in thick cover/tall grass from 20-40 yds.
A Cape Buffalo staring at you from 20 yds. LOOKS a whole lot bigger than a Bison munching grass 120 yds. away!!! :shocked2:

Not to mention that he looks at you like you owe him money.....

Long ago, I read an account of Indians using short barreled large bore muskets to kill bison from horseback. The account said they carried the musket balls in their mouths and loaded the gun with no patch from the back of their running horse. The distance was virtually point blank, as they pointed the gun at the closest animal. I have seen very old paintings of this. Is it true? It may be, I don't know.

I strongly believe that the older and less mobile you are, the more important becomes a [ridiculously???] large and powerful muzzleloading rifle with which to hunt. In terms of single shot rifles, I have stabilized on .72-caliber cap locks.

"Why?" you might reasonably ask. I agree completely with Mr. Steele. I live and hunt in west-central Montana where ranges for deer and elk tend to be short - that is, 150 yards is a L O N G shot. Terrain is severely vertical, and snow is reasonably possible during our 30-day season. This means that an elk, for example, shot at 60 yards that runs 75 yards before piling up might adjust a 45-minute field dress and quarter job to 8-10 hours of climbing up - or much, much worse - down to the animal, doing the dress-and-quarter, then getting it back to where moving it to transportation is feasible. Imagine the fun for oldsters like me. Oh, boy.

If you have a hunt for free-ranging bison, terrain is more forgiving, but your animal is 2-3 times the size of an elk. And trailing the bison who-knows-how-far complicates its recovery. And a bonus is the delicate flavor enhancement of adrenaline saturating the bison's muscle fibers during its attempted escape.

If you're like me and hope to someday have that muzzleloading cape buffalo hunt of a lifetime, that smaller rifle ain't gonna cut it. There are acceptably priced .72-caliber rifles currently available. If any has a rate of twist of 1:72 or more rapid, that rifle will stabilize conical bullets as heavy as 950-1000 grains (Steve Brooks and I worked out a design for which I will have him make a mold were that cape buffalo hunt occur).

Is there really such a muzzleloading rifle as "too big?" Since there is but one shot, I kind've doubt it. You can always load light. As I replied months ago on a similar thread, there's no substitute for cubic inches when hunting bigger game with a muzzleloading single shot rifle.

After seeing the buff my pop shot with 80 grains in a 58 caliber and a horandy GPB I wouldn't hesitate to use it. And in fact plan to do so as soon as I'm drawn her in AZ. I have almost 20 bonus points so it could be SOON! :grin:

His took exactly three leaps and was down DRT

Back