• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Considering a Pedersoli Kodiak...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As I "may" have mentioned in other posts, I am considering the acquisition of a Pedersoli Kodiak percussion double rifle. It seems that Dixie Gun Works has at least one in stock, though not exactly what I was tentatively looking for.

I was thinking about the MK IV, which comes with an aperture sight. Those work well for my old eyes, but double rifles are generally intended for close range shooting, so that is perhaps not such a major concern. I do like idea of flip-up adjustable rear sights on a ramp. Presumably, one could adjust them for different ranges or perhaps keep the ranges the same on both sights, but use them as one for each barrel, thereby negating any regulation errors.

The caliber I was originally thinking about was a .58 with a 1:48 twist rate. I thought this might make a dandy close range deer/bear gun for round balls if I ever actually get to hunt again. Since then I have reconsidered and thinking maybe a .54 would be better suited. I already have everything I need to shoot .54. I've also noticed that Pedersoli apparently markets a double rifle/shotgun SxS, which I'm thinking might be a better match as barrel regulation might not be much of an issue.

The price of this item is more than I paid for most of the cars I have owned in my life... which is somewhat of a concern, but not a real big concern. In other words, I will get yelled at, but have a tax refund coming.

So... what say ye on this topic? Any suggestions? Do they come up used with any regularity?

Thanks.

I had one and sold it. My mistake! It was accurate out to about 75 yards with round ball and patch, and 125 yards with an Improved Minie ball. Let me tell you, 120 gr. Goex and a Minie ball will thump your shoulder!

Mine is .58 x .58 and crosses at 75 yards. Shoots well but if you’re used to light triggers it takes getting used to. You don’t really want it doubling on you under recoil. I have an earlier one that has a RB twist and likes 80gr ff and a .562 ball with heavy patch. It has an absurd sight though. They’d have done better with a proper 3 leaf express sight. The new model with the peep (a damned double should have express sights) is cut for conical bullets. I use mine regular season deer/bear. It Carries well, points well , and kills very efficiently. (You really don’t need the left barrel but any double is a bit of a period piece. ) Get your Samuel baker, F.C.selous, John hunter Africa fantasy on. Nice rifle, pricey, but then anything worth having is.

As far as hunting some states will only allow a single shot muzzle loader, Colorado is one and I believe Nebraska is as well.

I have one that I should sell as I dont know if I will ever use it.

If intrested, shoot me a PM.

Fleener

As far as hunting some states will only allow a single shot muzzle loader, Colorado is one and I believe Nebraska is as well.
Ny also, but in regular rifle season you can have both barrels loaded. I dislike our muzzleloader season’s lax requirements. PA had it right, flintlock, primitive sights, RB. An in-line is as effective as a centerfire rifle within 200 yards and everyone uses some enormous scope as if they’re going to be shooting 500 yards. If you’re having a special season, earn it by skill.

I have one that I should sell as I dont know if I will ever use it.

If intrested, shoot me a PM.

Fleener
Why not take some pictures of it, make up a description and post it in the classified section? That'll make it much simpler as you will not have to answer fifty different people asking the same question(s). Also, you'd get more exposure. Dixie has a MK III .54 x .54 listed in stock for $1795.00. That's a pile of cash, but a warranty on a double gun is worth something too. I'd kind of like a .54 x 12 Ga. but they are out of stock at Dixie... which kinda sucks, but whatcha gonna do?

Back