• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Richland .50cal Wesson has the barrel plugged

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks yet again for more ideas and info. I just got home from work today after being gone since early January. So I've got a lot of work to get caught up with around the farm. Im picking up the muzzle loader on monday or tuesday. And then the fun will begin. Not sure what idea I'm going to try first. I might try hooking the patch with something like a fish hook first like Snowdragon said, then the tub trick like Zonie said. But I have a feeling JHansen's idea will be the clincher. Keep the ideas coming. Thanks

Trevor

I missed that the ramrod was down in the barrel, sorry for giving you advice on the wrong fix. Keep us in the know how things turn out, it will happen to one or more of us sooner or later.

The ramrod broke off, right, or did the tip and jag come off the end of the rod?

If there is still wood in the barrel you can get screws at the hardware store that have machine thread on one end and coarse wood screw on the other (having a moment of senility and can't remember the name of them). I have used these as ball pullers because the coarse thread is long enough to go all the way through a .62 and gives a lot of bite. You might be able to get one to bite into the wood depending on how it's broken. Probably have to shoot a bunch of oil down first to soak the patch.

jhanson said
" We want it to heat so that the grease gets thin and will flow. Put a wet fairly tight patch on a jag and try to pump water up and down the bore."

Suggest a brass or steel 1 piece range rod and a steel threaded jag to do this. You don't need something else stuck in there.
Also, if the grease is red or white, it may be high temp grease and this may not work.

Jon D

Back