• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

retro fitting a flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you suggesting this as something to be used in some kind of historical emergency situation? In case the shooter doesn't have a flint to fire the gun?

Matchlocks didn't use "fuses". They used a "slow match", which as basically a "wick" that smoldered instead of burning with an exposed flame.

I imagine a flintlock could be "modified" to fire with a match in the jaws but I don't think reliable modifications could be done in the field. Would also have to assume one was carrying a match, yet out of flints. :confused:

If this coming from a historical view then I'm interested.

:confused: J.D.

I know of a guy who once used strike-anywhere kitchen matches in a flintlock to shoot a deer.

As to using a slow match in a flinter, I don't think it would work very well. If you pulled the trigger with the frizzen closed it would probably just crush the slow match and may or may not flip the frizzen open. If you fired with the frizzen already open it would damage your lock, if not the first time then very soon.

A matchlock works completely differently than a flintlock.

Sticking a bit of cannon fuse into the pan makes for an interesting novelty shoot. Fill pan with powder, insert about 1-1/2" of cannon fuse, close frizzen. Light fuse, aim. Hold on target for a looong time. Boom.

No tools required.

Many Klatch

it may or may not have any historical relevance, if so, news to me. Nah, was just ponderin.
As to the term I used, I cldnt remember what it was called so I said "fuse".
This was just playful musing is all and wondered if someone else had too much time on their hands.

Latest posts

Back