• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Remember this Davy Crockett movie scene?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fess Parker ruined my life! I could have grown up with a good education and useful pursuits but, NO, thanks to him and his like I daydreamed of wilderness adventure and living off the land. Even late in life I still thought building a log cabin in the mountains was a good idea. Well I did but let me assure you it is more work than any gezzer should attempt!
image1 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Back then Disney made great movies and TV shows. The TV had wholesome programs the whole family could watch together.
Yeah what happened? It seems like after Walt was no longer in the picture Disney changed and not for the better. You just can't put "Disney" and "wholesome" in the same sentence anymore.

1955 I went to heaven when I got a coonskin cap and a plastic smokepole ...and the rubber bowie knife.

My grandad carved up a tree bough to make a rough copy of a ML "long rifle" for my Davy Crocket/ Dan'l Boone impression; I had an old Cow horn slung from a 3 strand length of plaited string and one of my grandmas worn out leather handbags as a shooting pouch.

Problem was sans Coonskin cap, so ol gramps trapped a couple of Foxes using a hole he made in the chicken house wire mesh. Then he skinned them and sewed the untanned hides into a "Coonskin cap", Fox face forward and bushy tail at rear; his idea being that the still damp pliable Fox skin would dry-shrink into shape while I wore it.

Well my grandad had a sense of humour, there I was an "authentic" Crocket / Boone figure covered in thousands of Flies all of them attracted to the untanned Fox hide cap but no way was I going to abandon it. The family still has a couple of photos somewhere of yours truly making a fool of himself.

Another geezer here who watched Davy and Dan'l growing up and wanting a real live muzzleloader!!!

My other interest was the War of Northern Aggression and thus most of my ML firearms revolve around that time period.

Back