• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Relined barrel proble

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OOF.... I had this same problem with a smoothbore I purchased. There was a huge glob of it on the breech plug face. Would have made thorough cleaning impossible. Ended up removing the breech plug and digging it out. Might be more of a challenge with a TC breech. Good luck gladiator.
View attachment 311674View attachment 311675View attachment 311676View attachment 311677View attachment 311678
dang. im sort of new at this but dont think i want my barrel relined if that is going to happen. thank you for showing this problem.

Well Rudyard,

Jerry Cunningham is a name I haven't heard for years. I'm assuming you're referring to the J.C. who once ran the Montana Rifle Barrel Company. If so, I used to sell his barrels. In fact at one time I'd heard he had told folks I was his Eastern Montana distributor. Lol

I did sell quite a number of his barrels back in the early 1980s. People were very satisfied with these barrels. I've got a couple of guns using them, good barrels.
Dear Urban Coyote Yes the very same The inimitable Jerry C ,Great Philosopher & barrel maker Ide buy his barrels At F 'ship & he'd give me great deals on rejects or oddityies All of which Ide make into guns mostly for me. Even one short Oct barrel of 58 cal with a pitch of 1 in 16" it had' trash 'written on it in marker , I wedded it to a short unsaleable bit of nice dense Maple from Vern Davis ? the Lock was bits of a Chambers Jager plate cock & Steel but I made late' English' lock internals and a vestigial 'Dog a cheek stocked rifle ' . I think it was faulted but he gave it me for singing a humorous ditty a reliefe from the hot dusty boredom I suppose, or Ide juggle for him , Never let go of the balls mind (Otherwise they fell out of my hands ) I shall have to get my daughter to send a pic of it .I visited him one time really Uneek Gentleman I bought a lot of barrels just wrapped them up & off by the nearest post office to UK or . NZ just like that try. That today !. Harrison was good value too his 'lucky elephant 'box had all sorts of goodies '.Memory lane ' but good ones dust & heat aside I was sort of a' Booth hopper' or with Ackermann sometimes .
Regards Rudyard

I guess if the barrel was checked before it left the shop you wouldn't have to pack it back up and go to the post office and ship it back and go through that whole hassle.

I don’t know how old Mr. Hoyt is but I remember seeing his ads in Muzzle Blasts back in the early seventies. He has done barrel work for me and I’ve had no complaints, but he is getting up in years and I believe he is hoping to retire. When I spoke with him on the phone last year, I asked if the rumors about his training a protege were true, and I don’t remember exactly how he phrased his response, but I understood that whoever was working with him was not “there” yet, and I got the impression the individual would probably not be taking over the shop as a primary business. That seems like a great opportunity for someone with years ahead of him (or her), to be trained by a master and take over a fully-equipped business with an established clientele.

I have heard of a business in one of the western states, maybe Great Plains Reboring or something like that, that has done a few muzzleloaders, but I don’t think they are seeking that kind of business.

It would seem that some of the smaller barrel makers, like Burton or Oregon Barrels, would consider at least some reboring/ rerifling jobs, but I don’t think they do.

I’ll try to look up that Great Plains outfit. I probably got the name wrong.

Notchy Bob

I have heard of a business in one of the western states, maybe Great Plains Reboring or something like that, that has done a few muzzleloaders, but I don’t think they are seeking that kind of business.

I’ll try to look up that Great Plains outfit. I probably got the name wrong.

Notchy Bob

Well, I was close, but did get the name wrong. The outfit I was thinking of is High Plains Reboring & Barrels, LLC. The proprietor is named Norman Johnson, and his business is located in Turtle Lake, North Dakota. I'm not going to post his phone number or address here, but you can find it easily, as I did, with a straightforward Google search if you are interested. I did not find a website or email address for High Plains Reboring in my Google search. A lot of these specialty outfits are quite small, and if they get too much publicity, they can be overwhelmed with time-consuming and frequently pointless calls and queries. Mr. Johnson reportedly advertises in the printed version of The Black Powder Cartridge News (BPCN), but as an online subscriber, I did not see an ad for his business on that magazine's website.

However, there was an article referencing High Plains Reboring in the Summer 2023 issue of the BPCN, entitled "An Old Hunter Afield Again," by James Bowen. The author had an antique muzzleloader that was in pretty good shape overall, but it had a rusty, damaged bore. Here is a direct quote from Mr. Bowen's article:

"In a previous issue of The Black Powder Cartridge News, I came across an ad for The High Plains Reboring & Barrels, LLC, Norman Johnson owner. Johnson agreed to rebore the rifle and recut the rifling. I was very surprised to have the barrel back in my hands within two weeks! It is now a .330 bore and able to shoot .310 roundballs. On the first shot at the range I thought I might have missed the paper at 25 yards. I couldn’t see a hole until I walked up to the target. There was a dead “bullseye,” in fact, the next four shots all hit the 2-inch bullseye! Thank you, Mr. Johnson! The [rifle] shows a preference for 20 grains of FFFg and two .010 patches with the .310 roundball."

High Plains Reboring was also discussed briefly in a thread here on the Muzzleloading Forum in 2022: High Plains Reboring

That's about all I know about it. It appears Mr. Johnson has the skills and equipment for recutting muzzleloaders, but I get the impression that is not his specialty. In any event, it is good to know that we have options, and maybe someone who will continue to "carry the torch" after Mr. Hoyt retires.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Latest posts

Back