• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range box

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For years I used a large wooden box. With time I accumulated so much 'stuff' in it I was getting ready to install wheels and a V-8 to get it around. Switched to a used tackle box and pared down how much I carry. Do wat suits ye.

tranders said:
My range is 45 minutes away,so I usually carry more stuff than needed.
Better to have and not need than to need and not have. My range is 10 minutes or so away, I bring essentially everything I need to clean and maintain my gun. I'd rather have it with me than have to quit early and go home because the gun had an issue I could fix easily with a screw driver, a cleaning patch and or a nipple wrench.

Zonie said:
It doesn't look PC or HC at all but I use a Plano Fishing tackle box.

The storage places for lures and hooks are filled with percussion cap tins, jags, patch and ball pullers and an assortment of other things.
There's even a few large places for nipple wrenches and such. :grin:

Just remember, Ole' Danial would have used one if he had it. :rotf:

Exactly the same thing for me. Been using that old tackle box since high school (2001ish probably).

As I get older, I get more forgetful. On more than one occasion I have went out to shoot and couldn't or shooting was cut short because I forgot something or needed something I didn't have. I got to where I carry extra or even bring extra guns just in case so I don't waste half a day.

when i was 3 minutes from my "range" i`d just throw what ever in the truck and off i`d go.
since i moved I'm an hour if i even get out, so i tend to bring everything. most of it will stay in the truck unless its needed.

Adui said:
...screw driver, a cleaning patch and or a nipple wrench.
These are items that should be in your gun bag as they are used in the routine care & feeding of your gun. It's all the other unnecessary stuff that people think is necessary - You know, the stuff that ends up with a person needing a box to carry it all...

Mooman76 said:
As I get older, I get more forgetful. On more than one occasion I have went out to shoot and couldn't or shooting was cut short because I forgot something or needed something I didn't have. I got to where I carry extra or even bring extra guns just in case so I don't waste half a day.

:metoo:

Black Hand said:
These are items that should be in your gun bag as they are used in the routine care & feeding of your gun. It's all the other unnecessary stuff that people think is necessary - You know, the stuff that ends up with a person needing a box to carry it all...

Fair enough, I still like to bring my kit to the range. Not so much to the woods though I usually have it in the car in case..

Contents of my gun bag:

One item is missing - a small pair of forged pliers with the end of one handle sized to fit the screws of my gun.

Some years ago I bought a trolley from Wolfcraft, Stanley Fat Max. It has on top a tray with lid with several adjustable little compartments. Underneath two rows with each containing 3 sturdy removable boxes with a roll-down lid for larger 'goodies' and below a drawer which is large enough to hold a telescope, and other large things. The trolley has two sturdy wheels and a telescopic handle... The whole thing is strong as a tank and contains everything I need for shooting and repairs. Best ever!

Over the years, I've amassed a collection of insulated nylon lunch bags. They're the ideal size to use for specific applications.

I have separate ones for:
Flintlock rifles
Muskets
Cap & Ball Revolvers
BP Cartridge Rifles

I carry what I'll need for the days' shoot & don't have to haul around other stuff not needed.

Of course if I shoot more than 1 type, I can take more than 1 bag. It's easier than putting it all into a large bag then having to rummage around for an item I'm looking for.

Driving up to 6 hours to shoots in New England I hate when I left something home. At most shoots I was known to be a mechanic/gundersmid, and at EVERY one someone had a problem. It would be rude not to help them.

I fixed many problems for folks at them. However if asked why or how, come on I made part of my living fixing the ignorant's problems. [by the way it was the attitude asked, ignorant disrespectful types] Want knowledge? It costs in more than money sorry.

I've used a couple wooden boxes from Hobby Lobby, one looks like a pirate chest the other is a shotgun shell box, but have gone to making my own.

I use one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/MTM-Muzzle-Loader-Dry-Box/dp/B000PWB2K0

Works REALLY well and costs but $13. Worth ever dime. Who cares if it ain't historical? Don't see too many mountain men carrying wooden boxes around, either. Do you take a horse to the range, too? Your car's not historical neither! (where does it end?) LOL

-Smokey

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless there is an H/C door you have to pass thru like a metal detector with a guard at the range, then anything goes. :haha:

Black Hand said:
Adui said:
...screw driver, a cleaning patch and or a nipple wrench.

I tend to shoot out of my bag too (which has rather less in it than yours, I notice), but I've found it difficult to carry shooting glasses, ear protectors, targets, scotch tape, and a pencil in it as well. A box turns out to be pretty handy for those kinds of things, as it turns out. I prefer a nice wooden one instead of the repurposed ramen noodle cardboard box I currently have...

I use a box similier to the first one. The one in the picture is one that my 19 year old son made and donated to the NMLRA banquet last Sunday night.

The second one I built several years ago and is fairly large box. Due to its size I dont use it a lot.

Fleener

Latest posts

Back