• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta 1858 With Target Sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barnettshale

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Went to a swap meet yesterday. Parker County Sportsmans Club has one once a quarter. (Weatherford, TX) Range is actually located near Poolville. There were some guys there with items from an estate. The brother of the man who died brought all kinds of gun stuff to sell on behalf of his sister in law. Amongst it was a cardboard box full of cap and ball revolvers. Around 10 if I remember correctly. One was an 1860 Army and there was one 1858 Sheriffs model new in the box. I managed to snag a 1858 target model with a spare cylinder and an unmentionable cylinder as well. Also a black flapped holster. Unmarked, no US on it and the flap closes with a brass stud. The date code on the revolver was 2007 IMG_1163.jpeg

Nice. That would be a 1858 New Model Army Remington Replica though it has the Target sights on it (one of mine does as well).

Let us know how it shoots. I have two NMA, one a 76 and one a 2023 and have not had all that good results.

I had one of those for a number of years. I found the .454 balls to be a better fit. The .451 would not shave a consistent ring of lead when loading. My target load was 15 grains 3f, but you can load 35 grains in there if you want a big boom!

I had one of those for a number of years. I found the .454 balls to be a better fit. The .451 would not shave a consistent ring of lead when loading. My target load was 15 grains 3f, but you can load 35 grains in there if you want a big boom!
I have for years used .454 in most of mine. Based on the measurements I got using old fashioned dial calipers a .006 or .005 ring shaved from a .451 ball should be good. As it is I modified one of my .451 round ball moulds to throw a heeled round ball. Weighs 160 grains. The heel measures .433 and drops right into the cylinder chamber mouth. I hope it also lends itself to ease of manufacture and loading with combustible cartridge's
IMG_1170.jpeg

Back