• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

purchased CVA flintlock mtn. rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topbike

36 Cal.
Reaction score
This is my first flintlock and it came without a flint. What flint would you reccomend and where is a good place to purchase said flints? Also most flints appear to have a beveled edge, does the bevel go up or down? Thanks,john.

John,
Track of the Wolf has an excellent assortment of black English flints knapped by Tom Fuller in different sizes. They list the flints by size and gun manufacture's recommendation. The knapped black English flints I believe are the best, but the French knapped amber flints perform quite well too. I also recommend you start with the knapped flints before experimenting with the sewn Texas flint, which I don't care for.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/141/1

The 1/2 by 5/8 inch black flint would likely best fit your CVA lock. You'll have to experiment a little on the range, though, to ascertain the best size for your gun. Whether the bevel goes up or down in the jaws of the cock (hammer) depends on the geometry of your lock. Again, try both ways, but you'll want the flint to first strike about 2/3 the way up from the bottom of the frizzen to the middle of the frizzen. Also, watch that the cock's screw doesn't strike the top of the frizzen before the flint's edge does.

If this is your first flintlock, I suggest you acquire Eric Bye's book, 'Flintlocks, A Practical Guide for Their Use and Application.' Very informative. You'll get excellent instruction of how to maintain your rifle, and how to sharpen or knap the edge of your flint, Taking-up shooting a flintlock is a very slippery slope; you'll love it. This forum is the best place to get answers to any questions you may have; don't be bashful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Measure across the frizzen and see how wide your flint will need to be. Also put the cock on 1/2 cock and maybe put a flint sized block of wood in the jaws of the cock. Then cut it back until the block is almost touching the frizzen at 1/2 cock. That would be one way of possibly getting the width and length of flint you'll need. Make sure to size the wood with a leather strip holding it like you would use with flint in the cock. That way you'll take that into consideration and not order the flints too long to fit with the cock at 1/2 cock and the frizzen closed.

Rich Pierce is a good source of hand knapped flints. You can contact him on this forum. He's a good guy and very talented. I've bought off of him and he's very affordable and easy to deal with.

All of the CVA's I have had took a very short flint. The hammer is so close to the frizzen many flints will hold the frizzen open. I know I have had to shorten them to get them to work.

Thanks for all the replies.I will contact TOTW for flints. Can't wait try it out.

topbike said:
does the bevel go up or down? Thanks,john.

Once you determine the flint size needed & have them in hand fit one in the cock jaw with the leather or lead wrap of your choice.
Open the frizzen & lower the hammer to the fired position. The leading edge of the flint should now be pointing to or near to the centre line of the pan. If it is not then turn the bevel the other way & see if that is more like it.
However that flint is, bevel up or bevel down is determined by where it points in relation to the pan. You want it throw the sparks directly down into the prime in the pan.
O.

Back