• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Issues with flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troy Easter

32 Cal
Reaction score
I purchased my flintlock last year and have been having nothing but firing issues with it. There is no serial number on it or identifying marks to tell me where it was made. I presume India. I have tried all kinds of flints and different sizes to try and get a constant spark. I even took the frizzen to my local blacksmith to re harden, and I personally think the lock has been played with. So frustrated, my good friend who has helped me with my reenactment journey is going to trade me for a Japanese model. I have no clue what these Japanese models are made with or if they are any good. Thanks for any ideas and help.

The Japanese replicas, especially those made by Miroku in the 1970's were very good. They sparked well and shot well. Look for the bent trigger guard if it is a Brown Bess. As the story goes, the original short land pattern supplied to Miroku had a bent trigger guard and their production muskets had the same bent trigger guard.

If you specified i missed it but musket or pistol? The Japanese "tower" pistols are junk. Far easier to get a newer india piece working.

Attachments

• 20231211_112427.jpg
    20231211_112427.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231211_112424.jpg
    20231211_112424.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231211_112415.jpg
    20231211_112415.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231211_112345.jpg
    20231211_112345.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Ya know what? I’m really sorry you are having such a disappointing experience with this thing. I’ve been shooting’ for a long time and would say…..save your Pennie’s, buy a quality firearm. Study on ‘em. Learn as much as you can. When you own a REAL flintlock (or whatever) you will have a completely different experience.

Set the flint up properly the take the firearm to into a dark room no light.
With no powder in the gun Trigger the action while observing for sparks.
Assuming the flint is being held tightly so it doesn’t move when it strikes the frizzen. If no sparks fly the frizzen is bad and would need replacing.
Or the geometry of the cock frizzen would need to be looked at.

If the lock sparks well look at the flash hole for more problems.

Last edited:
I purchased my flintlock last year and have been having nothing but firing issues with it. There is no serial number on it or identifying marks to tell me where it was made. I presume India. I have tried all kinds of flints and different sizes to try and get a constant spark. I even took the frizzen to my local blacksmith to re harden, and I personally think the lock has been played with. So frustrated, my good friend who has helped me with my reenactment journey is going to trade me for a Japanese model. I have no clue what these Japanese models are made with or if they are any good. Thanks for any ideas and help.
Don't trade this musket. Looks like a nice one from the pics. If you send it to me, I will fix it for you. Just include a return postage label. Let me know and I'll PM you my address. Semper Fi.

Set the flint up properly the take the firearm to into a dark room on light.
With no powder in the gun Trigger the action while observing for sparks.
Assuming the flint is being held tightly so it dosen’t move when it strikes the frizzen.
If no sparks fly the frizzen is bad and would need replacing.
Or the geometry of the cock frizzen woul need to be looked at.

If the lock sparks well look at the flash hole for more problems.
Also presuming he is using real black powder. If using a substitute not enough heat to reliably ignite the charges. It is not always the gun.....

This is not a Japanese miroku bess.

This is an Indian made bess, i can tell by how the barrel is breeched, there is a seam where the flange of the plug meets the barrel, miroku didn’t breech their barrels this way.

The lock is also totally different too.

Attachments

• IMG_0737.jpeg
    IMG_0737.jpeg
    730.2 KB · Views: 0
There's gobs of boat anchor material out there for folks looking for a steal!:doh::dunno: And then they want to know WHY??

Yeap, Indian muskets parts are made from recycled steel and brass. Indian is the recycling capital of the world, it could be steel from a ship, chain, anchor etc. could even be iron.

Even the gunstocks are pulled from old lumber from docks, barns, or surplus Lumber that was not selected wholesale, I suspect a lot of the wood they use is very old.

Not very high quality at all.

Back