• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder dispenser

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lost track of how many times I fought the clog, on the line in shooting matches.
Those little 1 to 3 grain primer valves will only work for 4F powder. Anything coarser will clog up the valve.
So true. Must have 4f and they still clog. I have to keep a wire nipple pick in my pouch to unplug the two I have.

I’ve noticed when carrying the small push type priming horn in a leather pouch, sometimes the small valve scrapes the leather on its way out and there’s your clog..

I still use one, but I’m always mindful of how I place it in & remove it from my shoulder pouch.

I have mainly used ffffg in mine, as I found out quickly fffg definitely clogs quicker.

And they weren’t designed too last forever…
When they start too stick/ hang up, screw in a new one!👍

I have found in really humid conditions almost all of the push type primers clog, sometimes it is very frustrating.

A very small powder horn with 4F and a plug in it almost never plugs, grab the horn out of your pocket while on the firing line, pull the plug out with your teeth cause your holding the rifle pointed down range with the other hand and prime. Put the plug back in by feel and be careful not to get beard hairs caught in the spout (that will pull them out) put the horn back in your pocket, easy peasy.

I have three of the plunger type primers and one is a small horn. The forth one is from a deer legbone and is a "trickle" type primer. In high humidity (at least) the plunger primers can clog up but that's never caused me any great problems.

DSC00506.jpg

Have used the three grain with FFFFG , for yrs.. No clogs in Pa. weather. Three 3 GF. pushes , is good for most pans.
Are you saying you use 9 grains of priming powder? I have a 3 grain dispenser and just use one push, seems to work fine but am I getting slower ignition because of it?

I make my guns using quality locks , and modify the pans to give best position of the flash hole in the barrel. my priming is usually a minimum of three 3 gr pushes , whatever suites the pan volume , then close the frizzen , tilt the touch hole slightly verticle , bump the rifle to settle the powder against the flash hole , and fire the gun. Been doing that proceedure in competition hunting , and range practice for a half century with success. One note , I prefer a 1/16 " touch hole , and located at the underside of the frizzen surface. Works for me. The top surface of the FFFFG primer powder burns first , right where the touch hole is located once the frizzen is raised out of the way.

One more thing........I have never liked pouring a loose amount of pan powder at random into and running all around the pan. Excess pan powder should be cleaned away , so the frizzen can be tightly closed. Seems a waste of expensive ignition powder to just pour powder into a pan and loose some of it in the process.

Back