• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54 Woodsrunner suggestions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finished and have just started to shoot my .54 Woodsrunner. At 25 yards , 60 grains of fffg Swiss put me on target. Looking for any suggested loads to shoot for better accuracy. I understand, every rifle is different, just looking for suggestions. I have Swiss, Schutzen FFFG, Schutzen FFG, and a bunch of different patch material, from .010 to .020. and plenty of patch lube and spit.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
IMG_3766.jpeg

My .54 cal liked .530 ball over a .010 patch. I used 80 grains of 2F . However, the way I got there was starting at 65 grains and working up in 5 grain increments until I got the best group. Somewhere in there, the group will get better or your shoulder will say enough.

For me, the .54 Woodsrunner is a light rifle and as such I don't like getting beat up when shooting it. My woods are thick so deer are usually close and I mainly like to shoot at targets. So my loading is a lot less I suppose. I shoot .530 ball (223 gr) with 56 gr FFFG Goex and .015 pillow ticking. I shot these 3 rounds in my woods from a rest at 40 yards. Works for me.
5F7FAED7-B4BF-46C7-9A7C-6E4BC57E665D.jpeg

I still need to finish sighting my woodsrunner in for elevation, but it groups really well with 60 grains of Goex fffg, .18 ticking, and a .530 ball. I use moose milk as patch lube.

Last time I was out I got it sighted for windage, but forgot my vise to hold it in order to file the front sight for elevation. Using the above load this was at 25 yards from the bench, each shot after moving the front and rear sight slightly to get the poi to move to the right. Six o’clock hold on the red dot.
Always fun to watch them get sighted in.
IMG_1027.jpeg

Last edited:
Let me just add this about my .54 rifle and the 2F. I got this rig back in 1984. There was no Internet. At the time, I was going off Thompson Center's manual and what I read in Outdoor Life. In those days, it seemed like 2F was for rifles and muskets, 3F was for pistols and 1F was for cannons. I really never thought about using anything other than 2F.

Fast Forward 40 years. When I got my Brown Bess, all I had was 2F. I tried it. It went bang. Then I found this place, and everyone was talking about 3F. I tried 3F. It went bang as well. When I tried serious load development, I stuck with 3F.

Honestly, I haven't tried anything but 2F in my .54. However, it worked fine for years.

Now that I have your attention Jim, can I get your opinion on “coning” a barrel? I have “coned” T/C barrels, and with round ball they are much easier to load in the field. I use the Joe Wood, caliber specific tools.I have also heard opinions that “most” muzzleloaders were “coned” years ago, and that is possibly one reason “short starters” are rare or non existent years ago.
Before I cone this beautiful barrel on my .54 Woodsrunner, I would like to get your opinion.
thanks,

I don't have much opinion on coning. I've not coned any barrels myself, but have heard some really like it. Others think it might diminish accuracy very slightly. As far as historical correctness, there is much debate. Some believe it to have been used, while others see opened up bores at the muzzle as a result of ramrod wear.

If you have liked the results in the past, I would say go for it.

I coned my 54 Woodsrunner because I found that it likes a .530 ball with a .018 patch and 70 grains of Swiss 2fg . The coning allows me to get the ball started down although it still requires a stout whack to full engage the rifling. Mr Wood makes a quality product.

Of all the rifles I have the three with coned muzzles are by far and away the most accurate and I can thumb start the patched ball. I always thought having to hammer the ball to start it or ram it home was detrimental to accuracy.
My thoughts entirely, by smashing the ball , it’s possible to flatten the top, which cannot help accuracy. Plus it’s a pain in the ass when your hands are stiff and cold when our December muzzleloader season starts here in Vermont.
Not my picture,but one hell of a lot of nice bucks, and happy hunters.

Attachments

• IMG_3903.jpeg
    IMG_3903.jpeg
    140.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My .54 woodsrunner shoots as tight a group as I can see to shoot it. The first load I tried is the one I have been using for 30 years in another .54. The first five shots out of the new rifle went into one ragged hole, so I have never tried anything else.
535 round ball, .010 patch with a lubed wad between 120 grains of FF powder and patch to protect it.
I have killed countless deer and hogs with this load and the only pig I have shot at with the new woodsrunner fell in sight

Attachments

• IMG_0324.jpeg
    IMG_0324.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
My 54 has an H&H barrel and I use Pyrodex RS in it. 100 gr measure, .535 ball and .020 patch. This has punched one hole groups at 50 yards. With 120 gr I could hit steel chickens at 200 meters.

Back