• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Polenta

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, fellows, you got that wrong. Cooking the brains does nothing to the pathological agent, the prion. For a long while even standard sterilization as used on surgical instruments wasn't effective, and all surgical instruments used on patients with Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease were destroyed.

Spence

Parasites, yes. Prions, no.
Of the two, I'd be more worried about prions. Most/all parasites can be killed with the proper drugs. There are no cures/therapy for prion diseases and they are 100% fatal.

satx78247 said:
In other words, you actually believe that 6-24 hours of squirrel heads in boiling stew won't kill any parasite?
It's not what I believe, it's a fact. A foreign concept on this board these days, I know, but I can't describe it better.

Spence

I know a number of folks who like to eat squirrel heads and also like brains and eggs and I am one of them. None of us have experienced any ill effects. I don't know anything about prion disease. Is it something new and what is the frequency of occurrence? Has it been found in squirrels, calves or pigs? Those are the sources for the brains that I eat or have eaten.

Kuru, scrappie, mad cow disease, chronic wasting disease, Creutzfeld-Jakob disease are all forms of transmissible spongiform encephalopathy (TSE). Eating squirrel brains has been implicated in cases of Creutzfeld-Jakob disease in several southern states. Pretty rare, like other cases of TSE, but it's something of which we as hunters need to be aware.

Spence

I used to call an Ex GF a Scottish cow. She'd snap her neck and say "WHAT"!? Then I'd ask her about the hairy steer up north and she'd correct me -- "Highland Cattle." "Oh" I'd say, standing corrected. Every time. She never caught on.

Never thought of blurting out "Mad cow"! I'll have to use that soon with the current one -- and it fits.

Holy Menudo, Batman! For a guy who's picky about eats, you sure like living on the edge! :shocked2: :rotf:

Prions are protien replicating sting that doesnt break down with normal cooking heat. I stoped eating brains in the 80s when the mad cow scare started in Brintin :(

Back