• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Polenta

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AGREED.

When cooking for a crowd (like for a whole company of hungry re-enactors, for example), a pot on an adjustable rack/tripod works too. - nonetheless, adjusting the amount of heat outdoors is more difficult that cooking at home.

yours, satx

Claude said:
Both you and Black Hand are correct about heat control.

You can even control the temperature of baking in a Dutch Oven by the amount of coals on the lid.

There's more skill involved in campfire cooking than just building a fire. :wink:
No kidding! My Dad wasn't the outdoors type so I was self taught ...it's a wonder there's a tree left around Alvin! One of my fondest memories is making off with my Mom's jar of bacon drippings, her good iron skillet and a few of her potatoes...after catching a pile of bluegill at the local fishing hole, we'd have a fry-up. Turned a bunch of bluegill to charcoal briquettes till I got it figured it out! But it finally became a real treat!

Are you sure it's not the same thing? Sounds like grits to me... I think the cornpone is trying to sneak in the grits.

Alden,you have picked on grits, mush tortillias,polenta. Do you like cornbread,hush puppies or corn meal breading on fried foods? Well I understand not liking some foods, but not liking corn meal foods thats just SAD :(

Did you ever notice, Wes, there is always one guy who reminds you of the following quotation? Especially the first line. :haha: Those who fall into the category of those in the second and fourth lines are always a lot more pleasant to be around. But that first line guy can sure be a pain in the.......uh....aw you know. Thank goodness for those who are in the last line, we owe a lot to them. We are fortunate to have a number of last line guys on this forum.:thumbsup:

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool; avoid him.
He who knows not and knows that he knows not is a student; teach him.
He who knows and knows not that he knows is asleep; wake him.
He who knows and knows that he knows is a wise man; follow him.

I can see my problem now...I read it twice and my first thought was the old one..."Nobody knows what the nose knows!" :haha:

I think about how bright the average person is. Then realize half of them are below that. And then that some of those eat grits. It's just sad is all I'm sayin'.

Throw senility into the mix and, well, Bill...

If your smarter then 1/2 the people that means that 1/2 the people are smarter then you. If 1/2 the people that eat grits are among the 1/2 the people that are smarter then you that would mean that 1/4 of the people that eat grits are smarter then you and 1/4 as smart as you. That means you have a 50-50 chance of getting smarter if you eat grits. Play the odds man you have nothing to loose

well the 'grits' thread was locked, can't say I blame admin - however in many Tex-Mex recipes 'hominy' is called for. (menudo)
this is a different breed of corn but still corn.
gotta be a reason the 'Cornfeds" lived on it for 4 years. MOF it's a big part of my breakfast menu. does great for 'trekking' also - not that I'm able to do much of that lately.

Menudo, the breakfast of champions, contains both hominy and tripe. I love the stuff but am picky about how it is prepared. The tripe must be thoroughly cleaned. When it is not thoroughly cleaned, it gives an offensive taste to the menudo. I also prefer that the tripe be cut into bite size pieces. One of the finest Mexican restaurants in San Antonio is Mi Tierra but I do not like their menudo. There is a small but popular restaurant in Georgetown where the menudo is quite good and I enjoy a bowl of it occasionally on the weekend.

Alden, I highly recommend it to you. It will make a man of you......hee, hee, hee! :haha: You will be able to throw those little blue pills away. :rotf:

OK Crockett ya talked me into it!! i love my grits as any good southern boy does but have been reluctant to try corn meal cooked as grits but you have me convinced and i'm gonna try it. i think what turned me off of it was seeing a guy put cinnamon and sugar in it and no offense to anyone here but i was raised to beleive that there is a speacial place in hell for anyone who puts more than butter and salt and pepper in grits the only exception being some bacon when the seasonings aint available.

creek

tenngun said:
If [you're] smarter then 1/2 the people that means that 1/2 the people are smarter then you.

Actually, not necessarily. If I were only smarter than half the people that would be true. I could also be smarter than the other half. Here's an example Tenn -- now work with me on this, I can help you all. Answer this: I have three US coins in my hand and they total $0.25; one of them is not a nickel; what three coins am I holding?

tenngun said:
If 1/2 the people that eat grits are among the 1/2 the people that are smarter then you that would mean that 1/4 of the people that eat grits are smarter then you and 1/4 as smart as you.

For argument's sake let's say you are correct though; that half the people are smarter than me. And that 1/2 the people who eat grits are also among that above-average line. A pretty absurd supposition but let's run with it. Then you are wrong, again. By your own definition half the grits-eaters are smarter than me -- that's the group you put them in. So, just a quarter of grits eaters can't be smarter than me (unless perhaps they soon had a second helping?). Kindly, I'm not even gonna ask how you concluded one quarter were AS smart when, again, they were ALL in the group that was supposed to be smarter. But let's move on...

tenngun said:
That means you have a 50-50 chance of getting smarter if you eat grits. Play the odds man you have nothing to loose

Finally, besides you relying on those false mathematical derivations above you are making incorrect empirical conclusions regardless. I can't fathom where the 50% chance of getting smarter from eating grits comes from as:

a) you yourself calculated one quarter of grits eaters are smarter than me and the rest are only as smart or not as smart

b) we never established how many grits-eaters there are in the population sample -- you falsely and quite accidently may have presumed that half the people are. Why!? It could be only 1/10th of 1%, then what? What're my odds!? Even if grits made southerners smart it could be a ROUNDING ERROR in this calculation and sample population. And

c) Where is the assumption that eating grits has anything to do with making one smart anyway? That came outta thin air. You may have counted how many grits-eaters fall into what category of smartness, OK, but never counted their actual numbers, didn't quantify their materiality in the sample, and never established any cause and effect of eating grits with improved or above average smartness. And, if anything, well, knowing you love grits as much as you do, along with a coupla other notable fellas here, well, you know...

This kinda proves the opposite: that grits-eating people are below average intelligence and the high correlation, the almost statistical certainty, implies eating grits is in fact a, though maybe not the, root cause of that.

This is your mind. This is your mind on grits.

Tenn -- JUST SAY NO!

Billnpatti said:
Menudo, the breakfast of champions, contains both hominy and tripe. I love the stuff but am picky about how it is prepared. The tripe must be thoroughly cleaned.
Amen, Bill my lad! It's a favorite of mine and have been known to order it at Mexican joints on the odd occasion when it was a Thursday evening! Usually, if it's a new place, the kitchen staff will peek out the window to see if it really is some crazy Gringo actually is going to eat it! :wink: :rotf:

Two dimes and a nickel. One of them is not a nickel (in fact, two of them are not a nickel) but the other one is.

What did I win?

We need to break bread (tortillas) together sometime over a couple bowls of menudo. :hatsoff:

Come to The Alamo City & I'll take you to TAQUIERA MEXICO on Friday, Saturday or Sunday for MAGNIFICANT menudo.
(I've been known to go there and take home several containers to freeze for later.)
Also, their SOPA DE REY is GREAT & they have that 7/364.

yours, satx

Bill;
U really shouldn't have pooled forces to answer FOR Tenngun. Now, he is probably still trying to figure this out over a big bowl of grits with home-churned butter, a glass of its disgustingly warm effluence -- buttermilk -- and sea-salt so I forgive you. I hope you are too, as punishment. You boys can sit at the high table someday maybe.

Add menudo, either the food or the boy-band, to the menu and...

:barf:

Billnpatti said:
Menudo, the breakfast of champions, contains both hominy and tripe. I love the stuff but am picky about how it is prepared.
I had a large bowl for lunch in Tijuana yesterday. Good stuff.

I like the red, but my friend likes white. He's weird. :haha:

Latest posts

Back