• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Polenta

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never eaten stewed squirrel heads but I do love the fried ones. The part of the squirrel that I don't consider to be squirrel? Hmmmm :hmm: I'm not sure, but I think the hide, fur and feet would all be right up there at least as far as edible squirrel goes. Oh, the hiney hole does't whet my appetite much either. I hope that doesn't make me too picky. :hatsoff:

BillinOregon said:
Claude, I suppose you've seen the Youtube making the rounds of some tough guys in Texas trying very hard to get some surstromming down ...

Just stuff people around the world eat every day...
And there's videos of the Swedish women eating with no problem. It all depends on what you're used to. (Although that's a traditional dish, it's not much anymore)

I have friends who almost puke when I eat raw oysters or tacos cabeza (both beef and goat).

We grow enough peppers on our homestead... But we'll save all the entrails for y'all (except for sausage skin).

Alden said:
We grow enough peppers on our homestead... But we'll save all the entrails for y'all (except for sausage skin).
Alden you need to pass your obsevations about guts on to the Scots. Be out of arms reach when you start bashing haggis.
So I guess oysters and anchovies are right off the menue for you. No woscestershire sauce for you,no head cheese,sweet breads or that westren favorit SOB stew.No Ceaser dresing?Just what do you eat lad?

VERY TRUE!

Take it from an old soldier: IF it tastes GOOD (especially in a 3rd world nation), eat it and do NOT ask what you're eating.
(Remind you to tell you my "crouton story" sometime.)

MERRY CHRISTMAS, satx

satx78247 said:
VERY TRUE!
Take it from an old soldier: IF it tastes GOOD (especially in a 3rd world nation), eat it and do NOT ask what you're eating.
Ask and somebody might just tell you...then where would you be? :shocked2:

haggis -- no-one really does. Been to Scotland, lad? You can get theirs here, canned, if you really have to.

oysters and anchovies -- yes.

woscestershire sauce -- think it goes in some drink.

head cheese -- a favorite.

sweet breads -- of course not.

SOB stew -- no, but Rocky Mountain Oysters once.

No Ceaser dresing -- yeah, why?

Anchovies -- yes. I can't remember the last time, but, their fine albeit bony and salty.

I heard from some Norway acquaintance some time back about the fermented herring, it's eaten with a mixture of sliced boiled tater, onion and sour cream on flatbread. can't be any more odoriferous than vietnamese fish sauce. smell that stuff way off. that's one thing that stands out about that place (of many things that stand out) is the smell. outdoor privys, stagnant water in rice paddys ferilized with urine and feces, rotting flesh and vegetation, fermenting fish sauce etc. you get the idea.
just a bit off the topic of polenta I suppose.
would like to see more of the relatively mundane hominy dishes.

Hey, Alden, you picky little thing, let me tell you about one of my favorite delicacies. I love...love...love a snack made of a saltine cracker with a slice of Limburger cheese on it, topped with a bit of raw onion and a sardine. I don't get it as often as I would like because Limburger is getting to be pretty darned pricy and then there is the fact that my wife makes me eat it outside because of the somewhat noticeable odor. No, I am not henpecked but.......I have picked up a few henhouse ways over nearly 50 years of marriage.

Give my little snack a try. It'll make a man of you. You will be able to throw away your little blue pills.........you won't need them because it takes a while for your breath to clear up. :hatsoff:

Anchoves are canned whole guts and all. And a bases for ceaser dressing.As they are for worchestershire sauce. The nutty salty Korean Or Thie fish sauces are about like the roamen garum mostly rotted fish, but good on the taste buds

No problem with Limburger -- there are others that are more strong smelling soft cheeses I prefer actually. As for the anchovies I've had they've always been fillets. Sorry chum.

:rotf:

Land sakes my man, you are not supposed to eat them raw. :barf: That just wouldn't be civilized. :shake: Cook 'em good and they are delicious. :thumbsup: Brains, tongue, jowel meat.....YUM-O!

Back