• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Plug threads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffnh243

36 Cal.
Reaction score
In a few weeks Im gonna pull the breech plug on my crockett rifle. I wanna enlarge the channel a bit for easier cleaning( its a it too "snug" for a patched jag). when I reinstall, do I put anything like locktite or pipe dope on the threads?

Wait till someone with more experience comes along with a more certain answer but I put anti-sieze on the threads of my breech plugs. The type you buy for spark plugs.

I put choke tube lube on the threads of breech plugs. This makes it easier to remove the breech plug should it ever become necessary.

If you are talking about the patent breech, IMHO, unless you are well experienced at removing oddball breechplugs, you best leave it alone.. :shake:
You don't need to clean the patent breech with a jag, clean it with a bore brush or a rounded breechface scraper, & then dry it with a patch on a slightly smaller caliber bore brush. You can oil the patent breech with a bore mop.

On some of these mass produced barrels, the breechplugs are put on by machine under tremendous torque, thus you may really skin that barrel up taking the breechplug out if you are not experienced to it. Some of them are put together under torque & locktite, etc. I would avoid removing it if at all possible.

Keith Lisle

I never put lock tight on a breech plug. It will nto turn inder combustion pressure. I put pipe dope on them or anti seize compound.

It can be very difficult to remove those breech plugs for reasons already stated. If you want to attempt it make sure you remove the drum first. It threads all the way through the breech plug. It is really the channel through this drum extension that you are wishing to enlarge. There is not much to work with there and you may compromise the integrity of that shaft by attempting to enlarge it. Necchi has posted a good picture of this breech recently and you can see how they are put together. I would not mess with it.

This one has a snail all in one. the channel is o tight a brush or patched jag gets stuck. not so stuck that they pull loose from the rod but stuck enough that it may someday happen. Im wnting to open it up to prevent that

Back