• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Period canteen.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norseman

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking for a period style canteen that is suitable for the late 1790's through 1820's. I was looking into the wooden types both round and "St Benard looking" type from TOW, Dixie and others. The only question is, will they leak? They say they are lined with pine pitch....BUT-
it would a bummer if it leaked all over yourself in the woods (the canteen that is :rotf: ). I would prefer a metal one. Any suggestions for the time period mentioned above? It's gotta be leak free!

Wood Ccantens will leak unless you use them often keep them full and change water often. Gourds are better but fragile,when lined with bees wax work well. I have made wood canteens in the past. like a wood boat they will swell and stop leaking for some time, but wooden or treenware does leak. I dont know if metal are pc or not and care less. Bob

I recommend one of those Milsurp British WWII canteens. They are enameled and of the same general shape and design of the British military canteeens of the 18th century. Most are covered in olive drab wool, maybe not the most authentic color, and have a webbing strap. It is a simple matter to lose the olive drab covering and substitute a different colored wool or even a leather cover, and rig up a leather basket-like affair so that you can sling it. Will not leak, looks PC, and keeps the water tasteless and cold. What more could you want?

Smiling Fox Forge sells a nice D shape tin canteen, or used to.I dont know how far back they go,but were around in the war of 1812.Hope this helps!

I constantly keep water, and change water in my wooden canteen. It's lasted for years ( going on 8 i think for this specific canteen). Gotta love wooden, pine pitch, warm water on a hot day! Try to look at Old Sturbridge Village's website. They do an early 19th century village, and I belive they have round tin canteens for sale. I have a cup from their tinshop and it's taken a hell of a lickin and still keeps my drink. Might be worth looking into.

Lots of tin canteens out there, both D shape and kidney shape. They date back to the F&I war and were widely used by the Rev War.

Trick to keeping them working well is to empty them out completely and leave the plug out when you're storing them. I usually fill mine about half full, rinse it out and refill it when I go to reenactments. If you leave water in it and store it for a couple of weeks you really get a "piney" taste in the water from the brewer's pitch used to seal the insides. Thought it was rusty tin at first, but it was the pitch. Don't use hot liquids in it our you'll melt the brewer's pitch inside.

Most of the decent quality tin canteens run around $30-$40. You can get stainless ones that are the right shape for around $50-$65, but they just don't look right on the field. Some folks will cover them in leather or fabric (wool or linen) which works fine.

Another option is a glass bottle canteen covered in leather, or a hard leather canteen. Both are correct for the 18th century.

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:

If you do a web search for british army surplus you can find a kidney shaped canteen in the same design used for over 200 years except these are enameled and covered in either blue or olive wool ,they come with a modern strap and buckle which comes off and you can fit it with leather or hemp webbing,I painted the spout silver on mine and at six feet you can't tell the difference..Mark

My vote is for a leather canteen (but only because I carry one). I have tried other types (gourd & metal kidney) and always prefer the leather one I made. Light, tough, and very easy to maintain. And best of all, NO funky flavors.....

Latest posts

Back