• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion Caps is there a shortage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No shortage here. Local outdoor shop has #10 and #11 and even some musket caps.
Winchester #11 (100 count):$4.95+7% Tax
#10 and musket caps are more expensive

Generally, stay away from the big chains, they only screw you over or have nothing.
You can even get #11 here at Wal-Mart...

Fwiw, one of our GREAT members sent me a source for caps. - Called them & found that they have ONLY #11 caps at 2.99 per hundred PLUS a 27.95 hazardous materials charge and 7.95 S&H. = Makes for some pretty expensive shooting even if you buy a number of cans.

yours, satx

If they make and sell what is in demand, which I agree is what they do, then buying 20 tins would increase demand, and encourage them to make more.

wpjson said:
If they make and sell what is in demand, which I agree is what they do, then buying 20 tins would increase demand, and encourage them to make more.

In the NMLRA now there about 15,000 or so M/L shooters, numbers have dropped in the past years from 25,000 or so.

There are literally many millons of folks who own 22 rifles and pistols along with more millions who own center fire rifles and pistols.

You cannot compare 2,000 caps to many billions of 22 LRs being sold each year. The math is not there, I majored in marketing and have a feel for sales.

Not arguing, you just are not right in your math.

I can walk into a dealer and buy 2,000 caps and it is not going to change the retail market in the United States or change Walmart's selling strategy with 2,000 caps being sold from one store.

Things are sad now.

If it was simple, Powder Inc. would never have run out of powder and caps and TOW would not have run out of molds.

So if I buy 20 tins I am not contributing to the problem. My point is, that as demand increases, prices rise and manufacturers will increase supply because the profits are greater than they had been. Adam Smith. When supply overpowers demand, prices fall to reduce inventiories. The invisible hand of the market. Anything I do as an individual is probably not going to make any difference at all, but large number of people acting like me can cause shortages or surplus by buying or not buying. As prices rise, demand should fall. 20 tins is not that much. I would use them in a year or so. It might be prudent for me to get them. I would not think of getting 100 or even more, just to scalp them. I have a wood pile at my cabin with about 2 years worth of firewood. Not hording it, just cannot predict the future and if for some reason I cannot cut more wood, I am covered for a while.

satx78247 said:
Fwiw, one of our GREAT members sent me a source for caps. - Called them & found that they have ONLY #11 caps at 2.99 per hundred PLUS a 27.95 hazardous materials charge and 7.95 S&H. = Makes for some pretty expensive shooting even if you buy a number of cans.

yours, satx
Few extra miles but Cabelas on #35 up at Buda usually has caps.

The concept of marketing and economics (supply and demand) has changed since the advent of the electronic age and instant information, Adam Smith would change his view today.

If Walmart cannot buy inventory, who can?

The problem now is hoarding and a re-direction of manufacturing to satisfy the masses and the government. The government has influenced manufacturing with it's massive buying of ammo due to previous war efforts.

due to previous war efforts

Personal opinion only but I'm believing there is another motive for the govt buying (and destroying?) tons of ammo. :idunno:

I started to put your idea, was not sure if that was entering into a area of discussion which is not allowed. Well could be.

Maybe I am just period correct economic person. 1776 economic law has not been repealed and should predict an increase in the manufacture of goods for which there is an increased demand. You have a shortage which leads to hoading and price rises. Followed by increased manufacturing to meet demand, driven by an increase in profit due to the shortage, and that is often followed by a serplus of goods due to over production which will make those hoarded goods worth less. I have made my point and may be entering where no man shall go, so this will be my last post on my economic views and how it relates to the cap shortage.

Fortunately, there are no shortages at my house. I used to shoot in several different matches at the gun club to which I belonged when we lived in League City, . At that time I did a lot of reloading. When we moved, I didn't get back into competitive modern shooting so I haven't done much reloading. As a result, I have several thousand primers of various sizes sitting in boxes. They may be worth a lot of money but I am keeping them. Before we moved from Indiana, I bought a couple thousand black powder primers (caps) so that supply is adequate for several more years. I also bought about 50 pounds of black powder from the magazine in Friendship. I'm good to go there, too. At the time I bought all of this stuff, I didn't foresee the shortage coming, it was just a fortuitous act.

Fortunately, there are no shortages at my house. I used to shoot in several different matches at the gun club to which I belonged when we lived in League City, . At that time I did a lot of reloading. When we moved, I didn't get back into competitive modern shooting so I haven't done much reloading. As a result, I have several thousand primers of various sizes sitting in boxes. They may be worth a lot of money but I am keeping them. Before we moved from Indiana, I bought a couple thousand black powder primers (caps) so that supply is adequate for several more years. I also bought about 50 pounds of black powder from the magazine in Friendship. I'm good to go there, too. At the time I bought all of this stuff, I didn't foresee the shortage coming, it was just a fortuitous act.

I am scratching my head on this subject.

For many of us, the reason we got into muzzleloading arms is because of the independence that it provides compared to others using modern arms with a reliance upon the gun industry.

Flint is certainly starting to look much more appealing.

What really constitutes hoarding?

Now, by retailers and scalpers I understand; but if I buy a couple of tins every couple of months, and just have not used them, I would not consider that hoarding. When I buy, I do have the next guy in mind, so I don't buy up everything if there is enough for the next few persons.

I agree. In today's market, buy what you need and leave some for the next guy. When I stockpiled my powder and caps, it was before the Great Shortage started. The reason I did it was because we were going to move from Indiana where everything was plentiful at Friendship to Texas where the supply was unknown. At that time, it was not considered hording, just prudent stocking up on the things that might be hard to find when we got to Texas. In today's market, I would rightly be considered a horder. Am I now going to divest myself of these things in an act of penance? What do you think?

"Flint is certainly starting to look much more appealing". =====> TRUE FACT.
(I suspect that my next TN Mountain Rifle will have interchangeable flint/percussion locks.)

Note: I talked to "John" at TOTW about my proposed left-hand TN rifle project for my "early TX impression". = NICE/POLITE/THOUGHT-PROVOKING/HELPFUL gentleman, who gave me some things "to think on" before ordering "a kit".

yours, satx

I just stopped in at the local gander mtn and they have a pile of #11.

I grabbed a tin. :wink:

I have looked in my local Gander Mountain for 4 months now, seems the shortage continues here.

There is not a tin of caps for sale here within 100 miles or more.

I just brought home two tins of number 10 caps. 2.25$ per tin. I left the last two tins for the next guy. Hope it doesn't come back to bite me on the azz. :) Larry

As long as you can look at yourself in the mirror each morning with no regrets, you have done what a person needs to do.

Back