• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Peep sites for TC rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duke21

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a TC Hawken, a Renegade, and a Cherokee. I would like to find peep sites to put on all three. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Also would like to know if front sight needs changed to accommodate.

Thanks,

Duke21

TC made a tang sight, but it wasn't particularly good, IMO. They also made a "hunting tang sight" that was adjusted with allen wrenches. I thought this to be better than the tang sight, and have one on a Grey Hawk. I believe that both Lyman and Williams make/made tang/receiver sights that are click adjustable and a bit more bulky than TCs hunting tang sight. A Williams Guide sight is far less bulky, and will mount directly to the barrel, so may be the least obtrusive of the bunch.

Changing front sights may or may not be necessary. I chose to swap out my front with a smaller brass bead.

duke21 said:
I have a TC Hawken, a Renegade, and a Cherokee. I would like to find peep sites to put on all three. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Also would like to know if front sight needs changed to accommodate.

Thanks,

Duke21

Everything I own has Lyman 57 SML peeps and Lyman 17AML globe sights with Lee Shavers inserts. If you want accuracy and adjust-ability there isn't a better way to go.

Guard11_zpse0894f9c.jpg

On this Hawken I added a spacer under the rear sight to make it go out a ways farther than 300 yards.

HawkenLock1.jpg

HawkenwithRecoilpad1.jpg

I take a range finder get the distance. I set the sight for the shot at hand and hold dead on. No over NO under I just hold right at the animal.

Flatlander2.jpg

Same as Ron after seeing his posts and how he slightly modified the site body, works perfect.

Bought a TC Hawken off of GB a few years back. Also bought the TC tang sight for it from TOW.

My impression of the sight was that it was pretty flimsy and not well made. The Lyman is much better!

The head of the TC sight is wobbly and I had trouble making precise adjustments with it. I could not hit the broad side of a barn using that sight.

Ended up selling the whole setup, rifle with sight. Took the money and bought a nicer TC Hawken. :grin:

Just my experience, Respectfully, Cowboy :hatsoff:

Four of my TC rifles have the Lyman 57 with the globe front sight or the TC fiber optic front sight. I have one of the TC peeps on another rifle. The Tc peep with the TC fiber optic front sight works well. Williams apterues fit both peeps and allows you to play with different size holes.

Take a look at the Skinner peep sights. They have a couple models that will work on a T/C. If your breech plug has the screw in it for scope mounts, there is a Skinner peep that will go in the screw hole. Very discrete and works great. No front sight change required unless you are looking to shoot long distances. There is also one that uses the existing rear sight screw holes, but this puts the peep forward on the barrel as a scout sight setup per Jeff Cooper.

Depending on how mechanical and creative you are, there are a lot of ways to make and adapt peep sights intended for other rifles. I made a block using a hacksaw and file, to put a peep sight made for Knight rifle, on to a TC Hawken.

The Cherokee, factory peep sight, will probably be difficult to find, and expensive if you do find one. I'd like to have one, for myself. I might have to make one for it, myself.

Back