• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Mortimer Flintlock Rifle Breech Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biliff

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm toying with the idea of getting one.

For those of you that have or had one, how is the breech set up? I have a Pedersoli LePage flint pistol and it has a deeply coned removable vent on the lock side and a matching plug (same size as the vent, just no vent) on the opposite side. Can't tell from the schematics if this is the case or not for the Mortimer rifle.

This was common in Europe.
On the right is a drawing of a Nock patent breech.
FlintBreeches001.jpg

This is one I made for an English Sporting rifle
14-28 threaded plug. Not sure I NEEDED it but I put one in anyway.
P1010922.jpg

One purpose of these holes, as I understand it, was to form Gold and later malleable Platinum vent liners. The threaded part was steel or iron with a rather large hole. The Gold or Platinum was put in place and with a punch and anvil was then formed to fill the vent liner so no ferrous metal was visible from the outside and it was locked in on the inside, it was then drilled to form the actual vent. So it was necessary to have access to both sides of the vent liner in order to do this. So the plug.

Dan

Back