• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

For target shooting: Pedersoli‘s Mortimer or Tatham&Egg?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking for a flintlock target pistol. Both the Pedersoli Mortimer and the Tatham&Egg (rifled barrel, cal. .44) look good.

Would you recommend one over the other? Or something else entirely?

Probably only a few people on this forum have the $$$ to get one and shoot it.

It’s easier to justify a big purchase on a long gun to the wife. You can bring home FOOD with it.

In Germany, Bavaria to be more specific
Rules and match types vary from U.S. NMLRA rules. When preparing to compete in a new sport or even new division in my sport talking to a match champion and observing, noting their equipment and shooting at a match is a strategy that has worked best for me. Chances are the type of pistols used by the top 3 most frequent match champions would be on your wanted list. Learning to properly use, tune, adjust and maintain all your match related equipment is best learned from a successful competitor...c

Rules and match types vary from U.S. NMLRA rules. When preparing to compete in a new sport or even new division in my sport talking to a match champion and observing, noting their equipment and shooting at a match is a strategy that has worked best for me. Chances are the type of pistols used by the top 3 most frequent match champions would be on your wanted list. Learning to properly use, tune, adjust and maintain all your match related equipment is best learned from a successful competitor...c

That‘s good advice, I‘ll do that.

Besides the two models mentioned the La Page is used often I believe (and custom pistols like Tilo Dedinski - Steinschloßpistole Tatham & Egg).

You should consider going to the MLAIC.ORG website. There is only one event for flintlock Pistols. It must be a smooth bore. You can also see the maker of all the pistols by competitor on the pages with the match results. Good luck.

For 25m BP target shooting, a Pedersoli Cook underhammer would be a good choice, along with any of the following- Le Page, Mang in Graz and Kutchenruter. An FWB under hammer is also very accurate gun. All of the above are either .36 or .38 cal. These are all percussion guns though.

You should consider going to the MLAIC.ORG website. You can also see the maker of all the pistols by competitor on the pages with the match results. Good luck.

Could you point me to the page where the pistols are listed?

I looked at the results but only found names and scores not make and type of pistols.

For 25m BP target shooting, a Pedersoli Cook underhammer would be a good choice, along with any of the following- Le Page, Mang in Graz and Kutchenruter. An FWB under hammer is also very accurate gun. All of the above are either .36 or .38 cal. These are all percussion guns though.

Thank you for those suggestions but I am really only interested in flintlock guns.

Regarding the rules it is a bit difficult as the rules of the German "Deutscher Schützenbund" and the MLAIC are not identical just similar... I'll try to find a pistol that is acceptable for events using either rules.

According to the German regulations it is ok to use either smooth or rifled barrel for example but MLAIC just allows smooth barreled flintlock pistols. The question is: could I be competetive with a smooth bore pistol in a match where everyone else is using a rifled barrel?

Don't get me wrong: I am by no means even close to good enough to compete on that level but would like to start with a setup where the gun is not the limiting factor, just my ability (or lack thereof).

you do want the right kit for the matches that you intend to enter. you will likly need a smooth bore and a rifle bore if you want to enter both competitions competitively. another thing to keep in mindhowever is that you are only shooting against yourself regardless of how many people are in the match. the only thing you have any control over is how well you shoot. it matters not what the other person is doing or what kind of kit they have. A strategy that one of my friends seems to use is that he focuses on smooth bore rifle classes. he shoots his smoothbore in all the rifle classes regardless of the handicap. the result is he usually wins the smoothbore class. if you want to win the rifled class you might need to get both pistols. if you just want to have fun buy the smoothbore and get really good with it shooting it in both classes. you might surprise yourself and everyone else by placing in the rifle bore class ;) I know Brian has won a few rifle classes with his smoothbore.

If you are not shooting the smoothbore matches, I would not bother with one until you want to travel to them in the future. It is true that you are competing against yourself but having good equipment capable of performing at the top level removes some of the mental anguish the shooter suffers during the match.

Back