• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pattern for a cow's knee?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone have a pattern for a cow's knee. Looks like it could be cut and sewn pretty easily, but the top seam would probable leak in the rain. So, I figure that someone out there has made one before. Got a pattern for it? Would like to use one at the shoot in a couple of weeks.

If you make it a two piece, overlap them by about half an inch and stich along both sides if you're worried about leakage. However, using a tight saddle stich, you won't have to worry about it, but you can still use mink tallow or beeswax along whatever seams if you're still worried about it. I've never had anything "leak" through seams, though. Soak through, maybe, but if your leather goods are soaking through, may I suggest that you hunt in fairer weather!

It's pretty straight forward. I usually take one square foot of leather and lay it on top of the gun so that it drapes over the lock (at half-cock, frizzen closed). I move it back and forth until it "hangs" well and wraps over the stock with minimal gaps. This usually ends up being slightly forward of center. I then mark the leather from the "peak" down with a scratch awl, leaving an inch or so gap between the lines down each side at the top. This will form a hinge. Cut along each scribed line and tuck one edge under the other (doesn't matter which, but if there is a difference choose the way that gives a more horizontal outside edge so the rain will run down instead of getting a chance to seep in). Lightly mark where the flap line lays. Remove the leather and stitch so that the flap ends up where you marked it.

I then melt beeswax and smear it inside & out with a clean wood paint paddle (or any flat, pliable spatula). A heat gun can help work it in throughly (don't cook the leather).

You can then add button(s) or laces to attach it to the gun securely. A fancy variation is to round the corners.

knee.jpg

WetKnee.jpg

Some folks lace them up tight as boots, but I like mine easy to remove. Just a strap long enough to tuck under itself holds well.

I tie a leather strap to mine and hook it to my trigger guard, so I can just flip it off and shoot without worring about loosing it...

It's pretty straight forward. I usually take one square foot of leather and lay it on top of the gun so that it drapes over the lock (at half-cock, frizzen closed). I move it back and forth until it "hangs" well and wraps over the stock with minimal gaps. This usually ends up being slightly forward of center. I then mark the leather from the "peak" down with a scratch awl, leaving an inch or so gap between the lines down each side at the top. This will form a hinge. Cut along each scribed line and tuck one edge under the other (doesn't matter which, but if there is a difference choose the way that gives a more horizontal outside edge so the rain will run down instead of getting a chance to seep in). Lightly mark where the flap line lays. Remove the leather and stitch so that the flap ends up where you marked it.

I then melt beeswax and smear it inside & out with a clean wood paint paddle (or any flat, pliable spatula). A heat gun can help work it in throughly (don't cook the leather).

You can then add button(s) or laces to attach it to the gun securely. A fancy variation is to round the corners.
***snipped the pics out**
Some folks lace them up tight as boots, but I like mine easy to remove. Just a strap long enough to tuck under itself holds well.

Thanks, that gives me something to go on. If I get this right, you leave the laces long enough to go around once, tuck under the first part of the wrap and then pull tight. That right?

Sounds good to me. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back