• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch after 50 shots with no wiping

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
First cleaning patch after a 50 shot range session this morning without wiping between any shots:
.50cal / .490 / 50grns Goex 3F / Hoppes No9 BP PLUS patch lube /.018 pillow ticking

Patchafter50shotswithoutwiping.jpg

that's impressive, what's in that stuff? mineral oil maybe? I use Go-Jo white as patch lube and it does clean fouling some but I use a very slightly lubed patch.

hey roundball!,

i am very interested in trying some different lubes and cleaners but on a VERY limited budget right now. I want to make sure we are talking apples to apples here. you shot, loaded , shot , loaded etc a series of 50 total shots WITHOUT cleaning or wiping between shots. am i reading this right. if this is the case, i am interested in this hoppes product. i have regular hoppes but it does not say bp on the bottle. if in so this is the case, how was your accuracy, did it go away after shots , or did it stay consistent throughout?

thanks ,

duke21

Blizzard of '93 said:
that's impressive, what's in that stuff? mineral oil maybe? I use Go-Jo white as patch lube and it does clean fouling some but I use a very slightly lubed patch.
This is my second year of using it in the cold, dry, low humidity months of winter here in NC...don't know what all is in Hoppes No9 BP Plus but interestingly the label says it contains Kerosene.

duke21 said:
hey roundball!,

i am very interested in trying some different lubes and cleaners but on a VERY limited budget right now. I want to make sure we are talking apples to apples here. you shot, loaded , shot , loaded etc a series of 50 total shots WITHOUT cleaning or wiping between shots. am i reading this right. if this is the case, i am interested in this hoppes product. i have regular hoppes but it does not say bp on the bottle. if in so this is the case, how was your accuracy, did it go away after shots , or did it stay consistent throughout?

thanks ,

duke21
Actually shooting 50 shots without wiping between them is not really the news...I've been doing that during the mid-to high humidity months of spring/summer/early fall with NL1000 lubed patches.

NL1000 store bought patches just aren't wet enough to offset the effects of dry low humidity in the winter months here...takes a wetter patch to do that, Hoppes is a thick liquid, and it's outstanding.
(I'm sure it's also outstanding year round too, it's just that I happen to have a good supply of NL1000 prelubed patches on hand so I'll continue to use them from April-November)

Sounds like what you have is the regular No9 for smokeless powder firearms that's been around for decades...the complete name of the BP version is:

"Hoppes No9 PLUS - Black Powder Solvent & Patch Lube"

Wow.After 50 shots!Very impressive.I think i must try that Hoppes No9 BP PLUS patch lube.Alas, with all the good things i must imported it from the states :grin:
How was your loading?Smooth?
:hatsoff:

undertaker said:
How was your loading? Smooth?
Absolutely...the bore essentially stays clean for every shot because the bore is wiped clean with the damp-wet Hoppes patch each time a patched ball is seated

Do you use the Hoppes for hunting also? Gets pretty cold here during hunting season. :thumbsup:

sidelock said:
Do you use the Hoppes for hunting also? Gets pretty cold here during hunting season. :thumbsup:
No, I always use NL1000 patches for hunting...but the coldest I've ever been out hunting with a muzzleloader here in NC is a very rare 10-12 degrees...usually only high teens or twenties when I hit the woods before sun-up.

But I'm not sure Hoppes would be much more susceptible to cold than NL1000 is as it has some Kerosene in it...dunno...my rule of thumb is if it's so cold I have to worry about patch lube freezing, I'm staying under the electric blanket anyway :grin:

That kind'a throws the 'use no petroleum products in BP guns' theory out the window. I have a tube of NL1000 I've used some of, the wintergreen smell I don't care for but it seems to do OK, but the Go-Jo white I've been using for awhile does something like what you're using with the Hoppes. a not-to-wet patch wipes the bore going down and I put some on my felt wad also.

Blizzard of '93 said:
That kind'a throws the 'use no petroleum products in BP guns' theory out the window.
Well, not really...I think that's just the typical problem of situations being over-simplified and reduced down to basic generalizations like "don't use petroleum products".

I think there's a manufacturing requirement that product labels must state if they contain any "kerosene", any "petroleum Distillates", etc. But I suspect it's safe to assume the amount of Kerosene in Hoppes is so miniscule and refined that it doesn't really fall under the intent & purpose of the "use no petroleum products" guideline.

And of course, even containing some trace of Kerosene, Hoppes not only does not promote fouling, it eliminates it like no other commercial product I've ever tried...great stuff.

Just FYI, some info I found while looking for a formula for Hoppes.

SOME TIPS ON CLEANING AND LUBRICATING FIREARMS
Copyright (c) 1998-2000 David S. Markowitz

"Besides commercial and home brew powder solvents, you can use several products easily available at auto parts and hardware stores for gun cleaning. Kerosene does a good job of removing powder fouling, and in fact is an ingredient in both Hoppe's No.9 and Ed's Red."

I haven't tried the Hoppes you are talking about but doesn't really surprise me though. A little bit of kerosene and a little elbow grease will cut through just about any junk there is. We use to use it to clean all of are roofing equipment free and I do mean free of all residue left from pure old roofing tar. No matter how you wipe it will leave just a little oil residue behind that tends to prehibate fouling later on. Got to get me some of this and try it.

Johnny Tremain said:
Been using 1000+ for years, have never had a lick of trouble
Yeah, but doesn't it rain most of the time out there in Washington?
:grin:

That's really interesting! I've never tried that lube, have to get me some :thumbsup: . I also use a .490 ball, but with a .020 patch. Stiffens-up after 3-4 shots. Thanks for the tip and do you ever use more than 50 gr. of 3F and if so what do find in regards to the "shoot all day ability"? :hmm: Thanks again, Dave

I use 80/90/100grns of Goex for various hunting loads in different calibers...but if I'm shooting hunting loads at the range, it's just for load testing or sighting in a rifle...(not a load that I would shoot large quantities of)...and I'm thoroughly cleaning the bore after every shot to simulate the first shot out of a clean cold barrel like it normally would be for deer hunting, turkey hunting, etc.

Thanks, now just one more PITA question: have you ever shot say 70 gr. of FFFg with a .490 ball and a .020 or .015 patch? I find this to be a "sweet spot" for my smokepole :) Also, what size / thickness of wad do you put over the powder and before the patch, if any? I haven't tried this yet and am asking for a good starting point :bow: . Thanks and all the best, Dave

Back