• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pasties {the food kind}

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dad was raised in Wisconsin and my mother in Rhode Island my Father always said yellow turnip, my mother rutabaga, it was one of those life long pseudo fusses that married people do.

I don’t know if I have ever had a real yam. We had a lot of wild sweet potato grew around my place in Arkansas but every one called it wild yam.
Or visaversa, I don’t know which is which.

A true yam is an edible tuber from a plant species in the genus Dioscorea that is a vine, while a sweet potato is Ipomoea batatas, and I believe they are from a plant, not the root of a vine.

I believe that where yams actually are part of the diet, Africans brought from those areas as slaves thought the sweet potato resembled the proper yam, so called sweet potatoes by the same term.

Of course I'm told that a peanut is a legume, not a nut, although when one reads a label that says "does not contain nuts" it means peanuts as well as nuts from trees.

:idunno:

LD

Wow now I will have to google. I was thinking yam was South Pacific. That’s why I said that I don’t think I’ve ever had a true yam. We often apply misname to similar things.our elk is a European red deer, their elk is our moose, and they don’t have a moose and it’s all very confusing. :idunno: :haha:

In 1986 china produced 80% of the worlds Sweet potatoes.

The sweet potatoes arrived in china by the 1550's
Along with corn, peanuts, potatoes and tomatoes.

In the course of the 18th century the Chinese more than doubled their number, thanks in considerable part to the new resources the American food crops put at their disposal.

Never really investigated it, so I just looked it up to find that ”˜yam’ is used for taro root, an unrelated sweet potato in Okinawa and a Japanese root, our word yam seems to come from Portuguese clipped mispronounced East African. A rose by any other name?
Did you ever read ”˜Indian givers’ I don’t recall the author.

Looks good and you could add a little sugar cinnamon and that John Townsend spice :wink: and go sweet over savory maybe some garlic and fresh herbs and go all savory.

If I remember correctly, sweet potatoes are a root vegetable. They are harvested and dried for a period of time. You can eat them green, fried in slices, and they're not bad. I think they have to be dried out to reduce the moisture content.

Rutabagas are much different taste from turnips, but both are good. Generally, rutabagas are sweetened (I think). They've got an earthy taste to them. They last forever if you coat them with wax, which is what they do in the supermarkets.

I'm growing sweet potato slips as we speak....This is the second time I have grown them. They are very hardy and store very well.

When they were introduced to china they grew them on the hillsides above rice paddies.

If memory serves me correct they are a member of the morning glory family.

Was going to do a separate "Pie" thread but I thought might still e relevant. If not then can move it.

First Garden Harvest of the year, Rhubarb pie, very basic, Rhubarb/Honey/Starch (crust Fife flour Butter). Forgot to use my Cast iron form :redface: Going to expand on this, will mix the next one with Sweet Potato and its closed one, the one after that probably turkey :)
Home made Peanut Butter Ice cream on top.

41874153504_fdf7942a01_b.jpg

Latest posts

Back