• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pasties {the food kind}

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The pasty recipe you posted should make into tasty pasties...although not like the original Cornish ones. Never saw a recipe that included peas.

One of my daughter-in laws is from northern Spain and is a serious, dedicated cook and she's thinking of making pasties w/ a Spanish flair.....and they no doubt would be delicious. The Spanish have something similar to a pasty although not as thick.....it's called an empanada....which might be popular in CA.

Actually a pasty could have all sorts of variations to please every palate.

When MLer elk hunting in CO, a pasty would be my lunch and lunch time was always too far off so many times the pasty was eaten quite early in the AM......just couldn't wait.....Fred

flehto said:
The pasty recipe you posted should make into tasty pasties...although not like the original Cornish ones. Never saw a recipe that included peas.
Well, you can't know everything. :wink:

Peas, broad beans and lentils were grown and dried since early medieval times in Ireland.

Here in The Alamo City, EMPANADAS are very popular, when filled with pumpkin, peaches, apples, apricots, mangos, chicken, pork, beef & cabrito.

Usually, Empanadas are shaped into equilateral triangles, with 1/8th to 3/16ths inch thick crust.
(A GREAT "walk & munch" lunch.)

yours, satx

From Pasties, to Swedish meat pies, to Empanadas, the basic "Meat Pie" was probably made wherever they had dough? :wink:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/12432/cornish-finnish-michigan-pasties/

Here's the last one we tried - It's pretty good.

Beef & Guinness Hand Pies (Pasties)

Makes 16 Pasties

Ingredients:

1 lb ground beef (or stew meat cubed small)
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
2 Medium Sized Potatoes, diced
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 cup sweet peas
1 bottle Guinness Stout
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Salt & Pepper, to taste
2 packages of Deep Dish Pastry Shells (4 Shells total) OR your favorite pie pastry recipe doubled.
Milk

Directions:

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

Grease a baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.

In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown beef and onion then stir in the vegetables, thyme, Guinness, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings then bring to a boil.

Reduce heat and simmer for 7-8 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

Roll out pastry dough and cut out 16 ”“ 5 inch rounds and 16 ”“ 5.5 inch rounds.

Spoon filling onto 5 inch rounds, brushing milk around the edges and cover with the 5.5 inch rounds and press with a fork to seal.

Bake 12-15 minutes and serve warm.

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is YEP, anywhere that dough was made, that people filled the dough with something tasty & fried or baked the dough/filling.

yours, satx

We were with friends on a 3 day trip and they suggested we stop in Butte MT for a pasty. Might be the worst lunch I have ever had. No more for me.

Pasties made and served outside the home are sometimes lousy....read my post about the "world famous" Lehto's pasty stand pasties. Like some other failures that are served in restaurants, pasties aren't an exception.

We go to restaurants on special occasions and expect "special food" that's a level above what's served at home....sometimes it happens but sometimes not.

There's a restaurant a couple of miles from our house that's been in existence for 25 yrs in which time they've changed the name 6 times and neither the owners or lousy food has changed. Don't understand why they're still in business....their clientele must be all "first timers", never to return.

The restaurant business is a "rough" way to make a buck and many people when starting in this business don't realize how much work is entailed.

My Mother had a successful restaurant and I worked w/ her and shortly after doing so, soon realized all the work involved.

Many commercially made pasties don't compare w/ the homegrown variety......Fred

sidelock said:
We were with friends on a 3 day trip and they suggested we stop in Butte MT for a pasty. Might be the worst lunch I have ever had. No more for me.
Well, I've been to places that had terrible coffee, but that didn't make me stop drinking it. :wink:

Just to throw an aside in to the pot, basic pasties/ meat pies can also be put in a bag and boiled as a meat pudding, old as meat pies and can easily be done afield. I big bag takes about 3 hours to cook,small fist sized ones cook in an hour or so and you can cook several at a time.

The Pasty (or "pash-tee" if you're in upper Michigan), is claimed by the Cornish, but history shows it in the 13th century in Greater Yarmouth, Norfolk, England, which is 350 miles away from Cornwall, with Cornwall being on the Western tip of England, and Norfolk being on the Easter tip of England.

You can find them also in places like Jamaica, Bermuda, Guyana, although the crust is much lighter than a traditional Cornish Pasty. Finding them in other parts of what was once the British Empire makes sense, with Plymouth England being right there next to Cornwall, and a major sea port for the British, the eating of Pasty's probably flowed with immigration to the New World. Yarmouth too is a port city so who knows how soon they left England.

(And they are very similar to the piroshki)

Now they can be good or bad of course as any dish may be, but they were pretty much perfected in the landlocked town of Bedfordshire, when they added a barrier, and half of the dish was meat and the other half was pie, and that is known as the Bedforshire Clanger (skip to about 1:30 in the video to get past his plugging his shop :shocked2: )

Pasty's or Clangers make pretty good trail foods, and great to issue to the lads just after morning formation so they have their lunch with them when doing stuff out and about during a historic presentation, or if you're going to have a morning battle and afternoon battle without the lads returning to camp. Also work well when sending the lads out for "wargames" when you might not see them back before supper.

LD

The first pies, called ”˜coffins’ or ”˜coffyns’, were savoury meat pies where the crusts or pastry was tall and straight-sided with sealed-on floors and lids. Open-crust pastry (without tops or lids) was known as ”˜traps’. These pies held assorted meats and sauce components and were baked more like a modern casserole with no pan (the crust itself was the pan, its pastry tough and inedible). The purpose of a pastry shell was mainly to serve as a storage container and serving vessel, and these are often too hard to actually eat. A small pie was known as a tartlet and a tart was a large, shallow open pie (this is still the definition in England). Since pastry was a staple ingredient in medieval menus, pastry making was taken for granted by the majority of early cookbooks and recipes are not usually included. It wasn't until the 16th century that cookbooks with pastry ingredients began appearing. Historians believe this was because cookbooks started appearing for the general household and not just for professional cooks.

The origins of the pie can loosely be traced back to the ancient Egyptians. The bakers to the pharaohs incorporated nuts, honey and fruits in bread dough ”“ a primitive form of pastry. Drawings of this can be found etched on the tomb walls of Ramses II, located in the Valley of the Kings. Historians believe that the Greeks actually originated pie pastry. Pies during this period were made using a flour-water paste wrapped around meat, which served to cook the meat and seal in the juices. The Romans, sampling the delicacy, carried home recipes (a prize of victory when they conquered Greece).

Started up making pies this week. Chicken Pie/Pastie last night. Chicken, Raisin and sour cherries, some habanero sauce for some heat. Fried up.

xrnm7G4.jpg

yWmERWE.jpg

Es3G4Bb.jpg

satx78247 said:
Here in The Alamo City, EMPANADAS are very popular, when filled with pumpkin, peaches, apples, apricots, mangos, chicken, pork, beef & cabrito.

Usually, Empanadas are shaped into equilateral triangles, with 1/8th to 3/16ths inch thick crust.
(A GREAT "walk & munch" lunch.)

yours, satx

Didn't Lyle Lovett sing a song "The Road to Empanada"?
Oh wait. That was Ensenada. My bad.

I'll "go on that road", as I love empanadas.
(Fyi, there is a Mexican bakery, that belongs to a family from Acapulco, down in Southside that makes over 20 kinds of them twice per day & ALL of the different kinds are GOOD.)

The empanadas made from dried apricots are especially GREAT.

yours, satx

Colorado Clyde said:
Also says they use sirloin instead of hamburger.

Just onions potatoes sirloin salt and pepper.....Some are made without onions on request....

The real secret is the crust......A closely guarded secret.

Gents. I have acquired and
I am now a "guardian" of the secret recipe.... :grin:

Latest posts

Back