• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PASS-TEE

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Alright, so I made Pastys yesterday. The title in this thread is how they are pronounced. Unless you're from Michigan, and then you can say pash-tee and still be OK.

I made "quick" pastys.

QUICK PASTYS (makes 4)

½ cup beef roast cut up into small cubes, dusted with meat tenderizer, and set aside for 30 minutes

½ cup diced redskin potatoes

½ cup diced sweet onion

½ cup diced sweet potatoes

Garlic and pepper.

1 ready made pizza crust (from the readymade biscuit aisle in the grocery store)

Olive Oil

1 egg for wash.

Set the Oven for 400° F.

So you mix the filling after the meat has sat for 30 minutes of tenderizing. Open the pizza dough tube and unroll it. Cut the dough into four pieces. Place a fourth of the filling on half of each piece of dough, and fold the remainder of the dough over the filling. Crimp the edges by pinching and then rolling the edge over. IF your cookie sheet is not non-stick, brush the cookie sheet with olive oil. Set the raw pastys on the sheet, and brush the up side of each Pasty also with olive oil. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes; then reduce the heat to 300° for another 40 minutes. Watch them as they bake, and you may need to poke a tiny hole in each pasty as a steam vent. In the last 10 minutes, scramble the egg and then brush the egg on the pastys as an egg wash..., then finish baking. Remove and allow them to cool until warm, and serve warm, not hot.

The moisture from the meat and onions cooks the contents of the pasty. The crust absorbs a lot of the juice.

The Cornish Pasty was a convenient, self-contained meal for Cornish Coal Miners in the 18th and early 19th centuries. They make good rations for a day hunt.

Here is an earlier thread on Pastys covering a lot of different variations
Pasties (the food kind)

LD

Alright, so I made Pastys yesterday. The title in this thread is how they are pronounced. Unless you're from Michigan, and then you can say pash-tee and still be OK.

I made "quick" pastys.

QUICK PASTYS (makes 4)

½ cup beef roast cut up into small cubes, dusted with meat tenderizer, and set aside for 30 minutes

½ cup diced sweet onion

Garlic and pepper.

1 ready made pizza crust (from the readymade biscuit aisle in the grocery store)

Olive Oil

1 egg for wash.

Set the Oven for 400° F.

So you mix the filling after the meat has sat for 30 minutes of tenderizing. Open the pizza dough tube and unroll it. Cut the dough into four pieces. Place a fourth of the filling on half of each piece of dough, and fold the remainder of the dough over the filling. Crimp the edges by pinching and then rolling the edge over. IF your cookie sheet is not non-stick, brush the cookie sheet with olive oil. Set the raw pastys on the sheet, and brush the up side of each Pasty also with olive oil. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes; then reduce the heat to 300° for another 40 minutes. Watch them as they bake, and you may need to poke a tiny hole in each pasty as a steam vent. In the last 10 minutes, scramble the egg and then brush the egg on the pastys as an egg wash..., then finish baking. Remove and allow them to cool until warm, and serve warm, not hot.

The moisture from the meat and onions cooks the contents of the pasty. The crust absorbs a lot of the juice.

The Cornish Pasty was a convenient, self-contained meal for Cornish Coal Miners in the 18th and early 19th centuries. They make good rations for a day hunt.

Pasties (the food kind)

LD
Made these today, good idea for hunting pack. Next batch, I’m going to add bit of A-1 or Worcestershire sauce. Thanks for the post!

Sounds like what in this area were back in the day, called "hand pies". They usually had a combination of meat, potatoes and vegetables inside a crust that was sturdy enough to suffer the bumps of being carried around in hand to eat. There were also some which were fried. I always thought they were a larger offshoot of Perogies. I do like empanadas, perogies and hand pies, will have to try pastees.. It seems like a food that evolved in different cultures from a common ancestor.

I made "quick" pastys.

QUICK PASTYS (makes 4)

½ cup diced sweet onion

Garlic and pepper.

Olive Oil

1 egg for wash.

Set the Oven for 400° F.

Pasties (the food kind)

LD

You forgot the rutabagas, pork shoulder cubes and lard…there are untold thousands of Serbians and, yes, Finns up here spinning in their graves right now….

These are common in one form or another all over the world. Different sizes, different regional fillings, different cooking methods, bit dame principle.
Some are more sturdy for travel than others, a pastie or Australian beef pie is far more rugged for the trail than a Jamaican beef pattie.
A calzone or scaciatta is a little big for one's pocket, but the latter would be fine for a lunch if packed in a box, basket, or larder on one's cart, boat, or carriage.
I can't remember the names of all of then, but, I am having trouble thinking of any culture that I've been exposed to that doesn't have some form of savory filled dough along these lines. From the Andes and other parts of South and Central America to northern Europe and the U.K. to all over Asia, Africa, Australia,,, a good idea is a good idea,,, especially when it fills one's belly.

You forgot the rutabagas, pork shoulder cubes and lard…there are untold thousands of Serbians and, yes, Finns up here spinning in their graves right now….
They are quick Pastys, not Michigan, nor fish, nor Cornish....,
Otherwise there'd be lard in the curst, and rutabegas inside with no sweet potatoes...

LD

Did they use Lard in the crust? I would bet they did.

Gus
Geez Gus, he said they were church ladies...of course they used lard. Anything else would have been heresy!

I've not heard of or seen sweet potato in them, but around my neck of the woods carrot is used for sweetness. He also save beef juice to make a dark gravy to pour over the pasty when eating at the table.

Artificer said:
Did they use Lard in the crust? I would bet they did.

Gus

Geez Gus, he said they were church ladies...of course they used lard. Anything else would have been heresy!

Yeah, ESPECIALLY if the Ladies were in a Methodist Church like I grew up in. LOL!!

One of our best Pastors explained the differences in churches this way; Catholics Pray their way to Heaven, Lutherans sing their way to heaven and we Methodists with our Pot Luck Suppers EAT our way into Heaven. :p

I've not heard of or seen sweet potato in them, but around my neck of the woods carrot is used for sweetness. He also save beef juice to make a dark gravy to pour over the pasty when eating at the table.

My Grandma's gravy made from beef juice and flour was to Die for! If you have ever seen the movie "Twister" starring Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton, where they describe Helen's Aunt's dark brown gravy as "a whole food group by itself," that's a great description of good brown gravy made that way.

Gus

Artificer said:
One of our best Pastors explained the differences in churches this way; Catholics Pray their way to Heaven, Lutherans sing their way to heaven and we Methodists with our Pot Luck Suppers EAT our way into Heaven. :p

My Irish priest once told me.... "The reason why the Catholic Church is so big, is because anywhere you find four Catholic men in a group, there is always a fifth."

(think about that for a minute)

I use brown gravy in pies that are the entrée for the meal..., ;). Well technically it's "gravy" but it doesn't really "flow"..., just flavors the space between the meat and veggies within the pie....

LD

Back