• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1861 Navy paper cartridges

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought Guns Of The West paper cartridge fixtures for .36 and .44 Walker. I made some .36 loads with .375 ball, 17 grains 3F Goex and rolling paper from Guns Of The West. Elmer’s stick glue for paper and ball. I tried to add 15 grains but the paper wasn’t filled enough and it buckled a bit under the looseness. I could add 2 grains corn meal I suppose or stick with 17 grains. I loaded 24 cartridges but destroyed 7 in a typical boneheaded move. (Dropped the lid of my shooting box onto the tray holding the cartridges) Still, with 17 shots it fired perfectly and I’m EXTREMELY happy! I also ordered the capper 3 pack and it’s excellent. I don’t think I’ll ever go back to loading loose if I can help it.

Attachments

• IMG_2080.jpeg
    IMG_2080.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2079.jpeg
    IMG_2079.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2082.jpeg
    IMG_2082.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
I bought Guns Of The West paper cartridge fixtures for .36 and .44 Walker. I made some .36 loads with .375 ball, 17 grains 3F Goex and rolling paper from Guns Of The West. Elmer’s stick glue for paper and ball. I tried to add 15 grains but the paper wasn’t filled enough and it buckled a bit under the looseness. I could add 2 grains corn meal I suppose or stick with 17 grains. I loaded 24 cartridges but destroyed 7 in a typical boneheaded move. (Dropped the lid of my shooting box onto the tray holding the cartridges) Still, with 17 shots it fired perfectly and I’m EXTREMELY happy! I also ordered the capper 3 pack and it’s excellent. I don’t think I’ll ever go back to loading loose if I can help it.

Very nice sir!!!

Mike

I've used his cartridge kit in the past for my .36 and it's worked well. I'm not a huge fan of those cappers though. They work better than handling loose caps, but I've always like my Ted Cash snail capper for these Colts. It has the added benefit of holding 100 caps in the frame which is really convenient.
Now go see how fast you can reload with your new paper cartridges.

Last edited:
I've used his cartridge kit in the past for my .36 and it's worked well. I'm not a huge fan of those cappers though. They work better than handling loose caps, but I've always like my Ted Cash snail capper for these Colts. It has the added benefit of holding 100 caps in the frame which is really convenient.
Now go see how fast you can reload with your new paper cartridges.
I will try a Ted Cash snail as well next time I’m at Dixons. I have an inline that is ok.

Well, since you asked, it's this . . .
View attachment 292448

This came through the shop 7 or 8 years ago. "Simi-Bushed" chambers and a lined barrel . . . a
36 cal Walker !!

Mike
As in "semi bushed" I'm guessing mean you left a bottle necked chamber? If so that a lot of powder behind a .36 :thumb:

As in "semi bushed" I'm guessing mean you left a bottle necked chamber? If so that a lot of powder behind a .36 :thumb:

Yes, best I remember they were tapered not stepped. It had been done before I got it, I just did my coil spring conversion and tune. Owner said it was a screamer !!!! Heck, it may be a bp 357 mag !!!

Mike

2 Sundays ago, I shot 25 cartridges through my 60 army. They contained 30gr Goex 3f, lubed wads, and 454 ball. I had quite a bit of fouling in the second half of the barrel, something I'm not used to seeing. I'm wondering if it's paper residue. I'll try it without paper for score, then run some carts through it this Sunday, it's league day. Anyone else noticed extra fouling when using cartridges?

...Anyone else noticed extra fouling when using cartridges?
Yes, it depends on the paper used, whether or not it's nitrated, and the method of cartridge base fabrication. It takes some experimentation to find what works best. My prefered paper is nitrated curling paper, with minimal base cutout size and shell overlap. In my experience, the cutouts shown in the OP's pics have too much overlap, and I was surprised he didn't have any residue. It's been my experience those bases tend to remain in the cylinder while the cartridge shell blows out and/or burns up. They don't interfere with subsequent shots because they've been burned through by the cap fire igniting the cartidge powder, but they make more of a mess cleaning the chamber. YMMV.

PS: if you lube the ball you don't need to wad. IMO you don't need to wad, regardless, but others may differ.

Thanks for your reply. I'll try nitrating my curler papers. I haven't before, but I guess I didn't notice it fouling. I guess I took it for granted that they shot as clean as without cartridges. I'll give it a shot, thanks again for your time

Latest posts

Back