• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Opinions on Long hammock barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amikee

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello All

I've come across a rifle with straight 42" .54 Long Hammock barrel I was looking at. I've never heard about these. Are they any good? Anyone uses them? What's your experience with them as far as quality, accuracy, etc? How do these compare to say Rice or Colerain?

There are very good barrels. IMO, they are better than Colrain, but not as nice as Rice. However, much depends on your shooting abilities as to whether you would notice a difference in those three. I've had problems with more than one colrain due to tight and/or loose spots in the bore. I found the Rice to be very accurate with the load I worked up for it, and retain decent accuracy with any other load I put in it.

Long Hammock made a 20 bore octagon to round Fowler barrel for me several years ago & I have been quite happy with it.

I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between those three, just never heard of this brand. Thanks

Everybody that has one seems to like them very much. If your wanting to buy it I would jump on it faster than a scared jack rabbit.

they make nice barrels,when you can get them. i'm still waiting on one from about 8 years ago...........................................

I have a fowler with a 46 inch 20 gauge Longhammock barrel. It shoots very well, is well balanced and light.

alex efremenko said:
they make nice barrels,when you can get them. i'm still waiting on one from about 8 years ago...........................................
:shocked2: :shocked2: :shocked2:

Long Hammock barrels are dandies. I have two of them, one is a .36 and one is a .45 and both are great shooters. I had no problem in getting either of them and the .45 was a special order for a H&A style buggy rifle that I was building from parts that I bought from Deer Creek Products in Waldron, IN and Muzzleloader Builder's Supply (when they were in Arkansas). In both cases, I had my barrel within about a month.

Dandy in my limited experience, too.

Will work with you on regular and special orders too. A bud had them make a pair of barrels for a swap-barrel gun he was making. Both 12 gauge, one rifled and one smooth. Absolutely flawless, and they're so "identical" you have to look at the muzzles to tell them apart. Not very scientific I know, but his results sure have me thinking of something similar.

8 Years???? Eight cotton pickin' years?????? They had both of the barrels that I ordered (at separate times) to me within about a month. Did you order some really weird special order? Have you called them? What did they say? Eight years? Like the Wolf Brand Chili advertisement says...."Well, that's too long."

Eight years????? Good Lord!!!!

I use Longhammock exclusively. I just got in a batch (60 barrels in two calibers, three lengths) and every one is perfect inside and out.

How are you guys even getting in touch with them?

I'd love to use barrels made here in the state. but every time I've ever tried to call for a couple of years now I get a message that they're mailbox is full, I've never gotten a response to an e mail. I even sent them a snail mail letter...... Nothing.

I tried to order a barrel for a customers gun. They told me they didn't offer that caliber. Then told me my customer was stupid for ordering it & I was stupid for building the gun. With some of the hit & miss quality I've seen over the years with some of their standard calibers I would go with another maker.

talon said:
I tried to order a barrel for a customers gun. They told me they didn't offer that caliber. Then told me my customer was stupid for ordering it & I was stupid for building the gun. With some of the hit & miss quality I've seen over the years with some of their standard calibers I would go with another maker.

Mr Hoyt has proven to be not only easy to work with but timely and affordable. :thumbsup:

I have shot a 10 bore Jeager that the barrel was made from Longhammock several years ago. It was 34" long with a 1:72 twist with 180 grs. of 2f and at 50 yards it put three shots almost in the same hole. Good barrel. I have been able to get a hold of him only once and that was a long time ago. The Rice barrels are excellent and Jason is great to work with. Highly recommend Rice barrels.

Sounds nothing like the company that I have done business with. :idunno: Long Hammock has always proven to be great barrels from good folks. :thumbsup:

Back