• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Greetings from Louisiana!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I plan on it. The more I think about it, the more I’m leaning towards a Kibler kit. They seem to be well made and I’m pretty good with woodworking. The finishing of the barrel and brass though, would be a new venture for me.

The Woodsrunner is reported to be super easy. I did a Southern Mountain Rifle (oftentimes referred to as an “SMR”) and didn’t have any problems I couldn’t work out. Can't go wrong with a Kibler...

Tools needed are minimal, so diving into a Kibler kit is nothing to worry about, and you’ll end up with a rifle you can really be proud of. Plan on watching Jim’s videos on YouTube… it’s time well spent.

And welcome from Middle TN!

USAF Sr Space Badge sm.jpg

The Woodsrunner is reported to be super easy. I did a Southern Mountain Rifle (oftentimes referred to as an “SMR”) and didn’t have any problems I couldn’t work out. Can't go wrong with a Kibler...

Tools needed are minimal, so diving into a Kibler kit is nothing to worry about, and you’ll end up with a rifle you can really be proud of. Plan on watching Jim’s videos on YouTube… it’s time well spent.

And welcome from Middle TN!

View attachment 274459
Thanks Terrier! Yes I’ve been looking up and researching finishing options for barrels and wood. So many to choose from.

Thanks Terrier! Yes I’ve been looking up and researching finishing options for barrels and wood. So many to choose from.
Just in case my first one was the only one I could do, I got the Extra Fancy Maple and finished it with aqua fortis and Permalyn with *6* drops of Honey Amber aniline stain mixed in per ounce of sealer. Blacked the steel parts.

Kibler .40 SMR.jpg

Last edited:
Just in case my first one was the only one I could do, I got the Extra Fancy Maple and finished it with aqua fortis and Permalyn with 9 drops of Honey Amber aniline stain mixed in per ounce of sealer. Blacked the steel parts.

View attachment 274494
That’s a beautiful rifle! That darker look is EXACTLY what I’m shooting for! Did you fire-blue the metal?

That’s a beautiful rifle! That darker look is EXACTLY what I’m shooting for! Did you fire-blue the metal?
Jax black.. I’ve noticed it isn’t a super durable finish. It tends to rub off fairly easily to a gray finish, particularly around the frizzen and touch hole area where fouling builds up and has to get cleaned off. Then again, I kinda like the “aged look” it imparts.

Since the barrel is pinned, I usually remove the lock and wipe down the barrel and lock with just an oiled patch to clean it. That keeps water out of the wood/metal crevices…. Cleaning the bore is just a series of moistened patches with water until they come out clean, a couple dry ones, and then an oiled patch. Really pretty simple.

IMG_4652.jpeg

I misspoke previously about the honey amber stain. “6” drops per ounce of sealer is what I used (I wrote it on the can) :rolleyes: I think it only took two ounces of sealer to do the whole stock and 3 ramrods.

The color could turn out a little differently on your gun. Every piece of wood is going to take finishes a little differently, but chances are good it would be pretty close. The photo shows everything I used.

Last edited:
View attachment 274502
I misspoke previously about the honey amber stain. “6” drops per ounce of sealer is what I used (I wrote it on the can) :rolleyes: I think it only took two ounces of sealer to do the whole stock and 3 ramrods.

The color could turn out a little differently on your gun. Every piece of wood is going to take finishes a little differently, but chances are good it would be pretty close. The photo shows everything I used.
View attachment 274502

Thanks a ton!

Back