• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

one hole groups are possible with 1 in 48 twist

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got 2 of them...No wait ....3 of these twist guns.I've killed many Deer,Gongs and Paper and most accuratly with them.
Some guys can't hit anything with any Twist and then Blame it on the guns....

Halftail, Geeze~everyone knows if the gun don't shoot ya have to tighten the nut on the stock. :shocked2:
Not to stir the pot, BUT I've cut cards and won meat with my CVA hunter hawkin.

bpb said:
I've got 2 of them...No wait ....3 of these twist guns.I've killed many Deer,Gongs and Paper and most accuratly with them.
Some guys can't hit anything with any Twist and then Blame it on the guns....

Halftail, Geeze~everyone knows if the gun don't shoot ya have to tighten the nut on the stock. :shocked2:
Not to stir the pot, BUT I've cut cards and won meat with my CVA hunter hawkin.

Oh Man!!I forgot to mention the wrench....Mine is hooked onto my Short starter :shocked2: :rotf:

Come to think of it I won a Whole Rendezvouz shoot shootin against them long slow twist guns.Ahhhh musta been them guys shootin against me was Dumb or sumptin or mebbe it wuz jus Dum Luck! :youcrazy:

:blah: I think the Staff Sgt has too much time on his hands.He's commenting on practically every forum question.If's that's his picture, he don't look to be much over 30.But it sounds like there ain't nothin' he ain't helt,delt,felt or smelt. Consider yourself invited to NW Arkansas on the 3rd weekend of May, for the Arkansas State Muzzleloading Championship. We shoot Flint,Percussion(rifles and handguns)Trade Guns,Muskets and Trap..............1st Sgt Olson

Flint,Percussion,Handgun,Trade Gun,Musket and Trap

I'll be 50 this year, and I've been involved with nearly every aspect of this hobby for 30 years. I've been shooting since I was 6. Someone needs to correct the disinformation found on internet websites. :blah:

My old TC hawken had a 1 in 48 twist, the only problen was the depth of .0045. Never did find a patch and ball combo that shot worth a darn. That was back in 77, maybe I could do better. [might have learned a bit more about balls and patches in the last 30 years.

If you have some deep rifling, they will shoot just fine with a 1-48 twist, with the right ball and patch size.

Speaking of one hole groups, I just shot this with my smoothbore 7ga. at 35 yds. the bull is 4" with 5 shots.

7ga-target-3-11-06.jpg

Swampman,
Did you use the Name Ol'Sarge on another Talk Forum a few years back?

BS - not quite a "one hole group," but not bad at all for a 0 in 48" twist. :winking:

Swampman said:
Someone needs to correct the disinformation found on internet websites.
Swampy: You are correct. The disinformation that 1 in 48" barrels don't shoot well, should not be posted on internet websites! :blah:

Anything a 1:48 barrel will do, can be done with no rifling at all. The smoothbore is easier to clean though.

It's a shame T/C pioneered a twist that is neither fish nor fowl, and that all the other begineer gun manufacturers copied it. For the exact same price they could have at least given new folks something that would have been accurate. This lack of accuracy led directly to the masses embracing inlines. That did work out pretty well for T/C and all the other companies that have abandoned traditional shooters. I see little reason to support these companies unless you shoot inlines.

Thank god you are here to save us from our experiences. Without your input I could have shot well for years to come but now I know all my rifles are junk and I have been sufferering the beatings of an industry bent on "keeping the man down".

I am gonna break my chains and escape can everybody shout "halalluha". (you better shout it I can't spell it)

We have found our new lord. :rotf:

Okay, Swampman, I'll bite in the quest to satisfy my curiosity. You seem like a reasonable man. I'm sure you have come to this conclusion regarding 1:48" barrels on some basis... what is it? What is the "why" behind your belief that they are not suited for PRB? Do you think that spinning at that slightly faster rate as it leaves the barrel makes the PRB not travel in as straight a line? Does the faster twist slow the PRB down because more energy is going into spin rather than forward velocity? Just what is it that makes the 1:48" less accurate than a 1:60+ when shooting PRB?

AZ how dare you question my lord? :nono: I plan to have a barrel bending this weekend. No-one shall put forth a twist above our lords. :haha:

The rate of twist in a muzzleloader barrel determines the optimum projectile length and speed of the projectile by applying the proper spin on the projectile to prevent it from yawing and pitching. A good rule of thumb is that the heavier and longer a projectile is, the faster the twist rate needs to be and therefore a lighter shorter projectile needs a slower twist rate to give proper spin for correct flight.

A PBR is pretty much the shortest projectile you can fire in a muzzleloader, therefore it needs a slow twist. Conicals need a fast twist. 1:48 is neither fast nor slow. It's just half fast. The worst of both worlds if you will.

Guys - I recently dragged out my old TC CUSTOM Hawken and it's shooting prb's great. Was there a different barrel on the custom Hawkens from the reglar ones?

Infidel!! How dare you mention that name!! :rotf:

After sitting idle for days reading these threads all I can say is Swampman get a life.

I am sure you know plenty but you ain't right about everything. By your own accounts we should not be ablr to hit anything but ten's of people have proved you wrong and you just sit there being pigheaded.

Give it up I want these threads to go away.

Swampman,
you shoot inlines.......I read it in your profile on another site.
That's Bad you know!!! :youcrazy:

It's a shame T/C pioneered a twist that is neither fish nor fowl, and that all the other begineer gun manufacturers copied it.

Someone needs to correct the disinformation found on internet websites.

Mark - I know you're a stickler for documentation so with all due respect then you need to re-check your facts. Thompson Center DID NOT pioneer the 1-48" twist (or anything else as regards their version of the "Hawken").
It is well DOCUMENTED FACT that the Hawken Brothers (for one) used the 1-48" twist at least as far back as the 1830's.
I used an almost exact copy of an original J & S Hawken for years. The barrel was by Bill Large who copied an ORIGINAL J & S Hawken barrel - a 53 caliber by 38" long, it had a choke, was coned, and was in 1-48" twist (I did this because I wanted as EXACT a copy as possible and Bill, who had examined and re-rifled plenty of examples told me that was what was used.) I took not only plenty of game but plenty of prizes as well (the gun was built in 1973 and was stolen in 1978 :cursing: ) -
FWIW: I'm 53 and have been shooting since 1959 and BP since 1960. I will agree that the 1-48" twist MAY not be the optimum twist for the roundball but in the right hands and in a properly set up rifle it shoots fine and is MUCH better for shooting PAST 50 yds than ANY BP smooth bore I've ever shot and I've shot plenty in the last 47 odd years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back