• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Accurate non-lead projectiles in a 1-48 twist barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elgatodeacero

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I have a TC Firestorm flintlock and it has a 1-48 twist barrel. I am not getting good accuracy from Barnes 250 gr copper projectiles.

I have tried a few different plastic sabots with these bullets, but I am barely on paper at 50 yards.

I also have poor accuracy (but not nearly as bad) from patched lead round balls, so possibly this is my lack of skill? I can make the gun go boom every time, but groups are 10-12 inches with .490 round ball, and around 20-24 inches with Barnes MZ.

I am much more accurate with my smoothbore 12 gauge cap lock shooting .690 patched ball at 50 yards, so something is very wrong.

Has anyone had luck with a non lead bullet in a 1-48 twist? Maybe I should try casting a bismuth bullet?

Advice welcome.

Its weird but for me, when I am shooting black powder rifles if I hold my supporting hand out where I normally would on a modern rifle, my groups are bad, but when I shoot with my supporting hand very near my trigger hand, I do much better. I have no idea why that is. Take yourself mostly out of the picture and bench shoot on sand bags. If you already are, maybe your glasses are bobbling around to different positions which will change the way the sights look.

I have a TC Firestorm flintlock and it has a 1-48 twist barrel. I am not getting good accuracy from Barnes 250 gr copper projectiles.

I have tried a few different plastic sabots with these bullets, but I am barely on paper at 50 yards.

I also have poor accuracy (but not nearly as bad) from patched lead round balls, so possibly this is my lack of skill? I can make the gun go boom every time, but groups are 10-12 inches with .490 round ball, and around 20-24 inches with Barnes MZ.

I am much more accurate with my smoothbore 12 gauge cap lock shooting .690 patched ball at 50 yards, so something is very wrong.

Has anyone had luck with a non lead bullet in a 1-48 twist? Maybe I should try casting a bismuth bullet?

Advice welcome.
First thing, we don’t discuss plastic sabots on this form, no insult intended.

I own the same gun you have in stainless steel (you didn’t mention if yours was SS or blued) and while I haven’t shot mine in quite a while, I found it very accurate with both roundballs and some full bore lead conicals (usually a ragged hole at 25 yards and maybe an inch or so at 50). It does have TC’s QLA feature and you have to be careful when loading roundballs to keep them centered on the patch. It liked TC Maxiballs and Maxihunters, along with Lee’s Modern Minie. The gun was advertised to work with Pyrodox pellets, although I wasn’t impressed and got best performance with loose blackpowder. Most accurate loads used were between 50 and 100 grains of powder, you will have to experiment. Another possible reason for larger groups is any delay in ignition. I have found that a 5/64” diameter touch hole usually improves my groups. You could open a liner up a bit just to see if it helps. They are cheap and easy to replace if the modified one doesn’t help.

Are you interested in non lead bullets just because, or are they required where you live? There are some non lead roundball options out there that some used. Also I have found that the non lead conicals are typically too long to stabilize in a 1-48 barrel, though I am sure someone somewhere may have figured out how to shoot them.

As was mentioned, talk about modern copper jacketed, sabots and bullets with plastic parts is against the forum rules. This is a traditional muzzleloading forum and the cutoff date for the types of guns and projectiles is 1865.

A TC barrel with a 1:48 twist should be quite accurate with a tightly patched lead ball. Something like a .490 diameter ball with a .018 thick cotton patch in a .50 caliber gun should be capable of shooting a 2" group at 50 yards.

Ok, sorry about the non lead discussion, but it is required where I hunt.

My loads have ranged from 70 grains of FFF to 100 grains. With lead round ball I use a .015 patch.

I guess I need to seek out some answers on another forum, as lead bullets are not allowed where I hunt.

thanks for the info.

Your loads are kinda stout for the 1-48 twist. Try a tighter patch and stay away from near 100gr. Look for your patches after firing. They will tell you allot. They should still be in good shape, like good enough to use again.

Ok, sorry about the non lead discussion, but it is required where I hunt.

My loads have ranged from 70 grains of FFF to 100 grains. With lead round ball I use a .015 patch.

I guess I need to seek out some answers on another forum, as lead bullets are not allowed where I hunt.

thanks for the info.
Here's a link to our sister forum, Modern Muzzleloaders.
It's owned and administrated by the same people as this site.

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/

Back