• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

NorthStar West Closed for good?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm upset I'm late to the party on these. The more I read about trade guns, the more they appeal to me. A simple, lightweight and handy 20 bore flintlock... awesome!

The Pedersoli are going for the high $900s. Any other makers of trade guns out there left? I'd prefer a less expensive one if possible, no crazy inlays and ultra premium wood etc. just a nice working gun for the woods.

Afriend of mine sold me his nsw tradegun a couple years ago probably one of the last kits made

the gunsmith that was my teacher actually worked with curly and I have the blueprints for the officers model when they designed it. my teacher ,Dick, used to do pistols for Matt.

I don't know anything about dinosaurs eating their young, we don't have any in our area, more's the pity, but I do know about a dyeing interest. Back in the early 70's Doc White started his "Green River Rifle Works," business and suddenly every one within a 50 mile radius wanted a front stuffer of one kind or another. Dixie Gun Works, Thompson Center, CVA, and others were household names around here, every pickup had one or the other hanging in the back window. The State started the muzzleloader hunt and that really got things going. It wasn't Doc White that started all this excitement, he simply was there when it did start, and he produced a great product, and was instrumental in the enthusiasm around here, we even had a club that catered to black powder shooting, and then it all seemed to drift south. I don't know who produced the first inline muzzleloader but they were an abomination and still are. When folks, usually young folks, discovered that they could mount a scope, which cost as much as the rifle, on a muzzleloader and greatly improve their kill ratio. I watched this phenomenon sweep through our area leaving a small core of traditional shooters. Over time I noticed that the manufacturers began to move their production towards the in lines and away from the traditional products, and it has continued this way, at least to my eye it has.

Just a speculation, but I would guess profit margins on the unmentionables is higher than a traditional muzzleloader due to lower labor costs. If a "plastic" stock is used there is little or no hand fitting and what you stated applies. Also, it is like the clothing fashion industry. If you add new do dads all the time, folks keep coming back to buy stuff they don't really need because some magazine or hunting show praises the whiz bang do dad as the answer to shooting that thirty point buck at 400 yards with a front stuffer.

I am not really enamored of smokeless powder "muzzleloaders" with a 12X scope for 1" accuracy at 200 yds. I prefer the mess, smell and challenge of a charcoal burner.

my mentor in muzzleloaders was a man ,Fat Buff Olson, Marengo Iowa. I was young and his neighbor, he used to build those trade guns for Curly and ship them to Ohio. Fat Buff is gone now, wish to hell I had one of those trade guns .

Also, they often have little or no access to a place to shoot, and if the parents/family/siblings are on the relentless after school sports activities grind ( which are often every evening, weekends, non-stop and almost year around ) who has the time?

I know some folks that run a bp gunstore he,s a fantastic flintlock gunsmith and his wife makes great rendevous attire, but their shop is kept open because of the nasty plastic guns,I try to give them my buisiness whenever possible

Back