• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No Sights?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought this ROA at a gun show in 1995. I heard that they were good guns but no other knowledge about them. If I am not mistaken, all the ROA’s that I seen for sale on this forum or Gunbroker had target sights. Was this model that I have undesirable? I kinda like the look of no sights giving a almost period correct look.

Attachments

• IMG_0113.jpeg
    IMG_0113.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 3
Many pistols, both CF and BP lack a rear sight. You regulate them by finding an appropriate RB diameter, .457" in the ROA, adjusting the powder charge (and maybe the granulation), and your aim. Btw, it is possible you may have to file the front sight, but making it taller seems more likely. Lastly, get yourself a set of Six Shot nipples for that gun for near 100% reliability.

They came out with a line of no rear target sight but I believe it has a notch on the top.

Cowboy action shooting or some such. More point and shoot. Pretty silly as its like 5 yards away and I see no shooting skill involved. Just how fast and slick your gun is. I guess it amuses people but I always was an aim and shoot and even with the DA revolvers, I single actioned them.

I placed 3r or 4th on a Practical Police course, the only ones that shot better were instructors who were there to be o the pistol team. There were at least 15 instructors there, pretty funny to see the look on their face and how many times the range officer added up the target shaking his head and asking where I learned to shoot.

Fine Alaska tradition of shooting in the borrow gravel pits. I was not so much skilled as rock solid from working grunt labor so having a pistol out was like a steel beam (sure not now!)

My step dad and I shot an indoor range in the winter. I was almost as good as he was but he was better about 60% of the time. He was an office manager. He just had outstanding coordination and skill vs my muscles.

Ok, I should have posted “No Target Sights”. My basic question is why I don’t see more ROA’s in my configuration?

I don’t know if the one you have is a manufacturer’s variant or not but I like it! All of the ROA’s I’ve ever seen had target sights and they never really did anything for me but that’s a slick looking revolver you have. Never seen one of those.

I don’t know if the one you have is a manufacturer’s variant or not but I like it! All of the ROA’s I’ve ever seen had target sights and they never really did anything for me but that’s a slick looking revolver you have. Never seen one of those.
Thanks Secesh, I knew that I am not crazy, I think?

Nothing wrong with crazy, I have a bit of that from time to time. Here’s some info on your revolver.

Variants​

The Old Army was made in blued steel and stainless steel. The first series of revolvers, made between 1972 and 1981 (with serial numbers 140-000000 to 140-46841) were all blued. Beginning in 1982, stainless versions were produced as well, beginning with serial number 145-00000.[5] Originally fitted with adjustable sights, fixed-sight models were first offered in 1994. A 5-½ inch barrel was introduced in 2002. Some versions were sold with polymer ivory grips.[6] Barrels of Ruger Old Army revolvers made in 1976 were marked "MADE IN THE 200TH YEAR OF AMERICAN LIBERTY."[7]

Nothing wrong with crazy, I have a bit of that from time to time. Here’s some info on your revolver.

Variants​

The Old Army was made in blued steel and stainless steel. The first series of revolvers, made between 1972 and 1981 (with serial numbers 140-000000 to 140-46841) were all blued. Beginning in 1982, stainless versions were produced as well, beginning with serial number 145-00000.[5] Originally fitted with adjustable sights, fixed-sight models were first offered in 1994. A 5-½ inch barrel was introduced in 2002. Some versions were sold with polymer ivory grips.[6] Barrels of Ruger Old Army revolvers made in 1976 were marked "MADE IN THE 200TH YEAR OF AMERICAN LIBERTY."[7]
Thanks Phil, good information, you schooled me on ROA’s. My serial # begins with 148-. So when I bought it in 1995, it was a factory fresh gun.

I bought this ROA at a gun show in 1995. I heard that they were good guns but no other knowledge about them. If I am not mistaken, all the ROA’s that I seen for sale on this forum or Gunbroker had target sights. Was this model that I have undesirable? I kinda like the look of no sights giving a almost period correct look.
Rat the fixed sight version typically sells for a few hundred more than the target sight versions.

Ok, I should have posted “No Target Sights”. My basic question is why I don’t see more ROA’s in my configuration?
They were not the most common of the ROAs and are much in demand. They were created by Ruger in response to request from the cowboy action shooters. If you paid less than $900 today, it would be considered a great deal. Stainless 5 1/2” barreled fixed sight ROAs are almost the holy grail of blackpowdered handguns.

Made specifically for cowboy shooters.

Some of those folks shoot 24 shots in less than 20 seconds. 5 ea from 2 revolvers ( one at a time or alternating with one in each hand), 10 from a leaver action and 4 from a double bbl. . . . and you hit a target with each shot . . . yap, absolutely no skills whatsoever . . .

Mike

and you hit a target with each shot . . . yap, absolutely no skills whatsoever . . .

Mike: ref the range they shoot at. A blind person could hit a target at those ranges. I think there is an alternative type match being worked on that excersizes the whole range of skills.

I worked for a guy who thought he was quite the deal shooting ducks with one of those early Atari games. He sat right in front of the screen and literally put the nozzle on it and was very impressed with himself.

25 yards is a good distance to see about your shooting skills and the speed end speaks for itself. It also is a check on is the gun reasonably accurate. But then that is me.

cowboy action has lost it's way. They have forgotten that it is possible to be as fast as greased lightning and accurate at the same time. We went from Annie Oakly shooting pennies out of the air to guys thinking they are good shooters for hitting a 20x30 inch rectangle at 10 ft.

Mike: ref the range they shoot at. A blind person could hit a target at those ranges.

Smokerr, yes 7yds I belive. The problem the blind person would have is the SEQUENCE the shooter has to hit the targetS ( as in not shooting A target 10 times). There is a little bit of "thinking" going on instead of "bliind" shooting.

Seems "silly" for some to poke fun at others doing what others enjoy doing . . .

Bob Munden's targets were close but he hit 2 and it sounded like one shot from the draw. Reckon a blind person could do that too?

Mike

Mike: ref the range they shoot at. A blind person could hit a target at those ranges. I think there is an alternative type match being worked on that excersizes the whole range of skills.

I worked for a guy who thought he was quite the deal shooting ducks with one of those early Atari games. He sat right in front of the screen and literally put the nozzle on it and was very impressed with himself.

25 yards is a good distance to see about your shooting skills and the speed end speaks for itself. It also is a check on is the gun reasonably accurate. But then that is me.
Yes, 25 yards will certainly show our skill level. You ever see gun reviews wherein the writer says the gun will shoot a particular group at 7 yards? 7 yards.tells the readers nothing at all about the handgun's inherent accuracy. Sometimes explain that "This hun will shoot a 2" group at 7 yards, the distance most gun fights are settled." How very silly..

Yes, 25 yards will certainly show our skill level. You ever see gun reviews wherein the writer says the gun will shoot a particular group at 7 yards? 7 yards.tells the readers nothing at all about the handgun's inherent accuracy. Sometimes explain that "This hun will shoot a 2" group at 7 yards, the distance most gun fights are settled." How very silly..

Yes, "very silly" so silly that you and Smokerr couldn't come anywhere close to the top of the cas shooters.
It's all about the ability of the shooter, not the "inherent accuracy" of the revolver, otherwise it WOULD be at a greater distance.

Latest posts

Back