• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No More Green Mtn Barrels ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illuveatar

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I spoke with a Track Of The Wolf rep a couple days ago and he said Green Mountain Barrel Co. was no longer producing blackpowder barrels. Is this old info that I missed or did this just happen recently ?

The rep said that GM is selling its stock off and only making inline style barrels now. When I heard this I decided to purchase their last straight 42" .50 cal for my new build. I already have a Traditions barrel I was going to use but figured if this is my last chance at getting a GM barrel I should take it.

Could you guys name any other companies that produce barrels at similar qualities and prices?

that's a bummer....GM on my 1st build....and they had the best prices I believe~sigh~everything changes.....

If true, its a sad day for the muzzle loading community. They made excellent barrels! On the other hand, its a great time for all the other manufacturers. I hope they can keep up with the load without a lapse in quality.
Robby

I heard the same thing so I called GM A couple weeks ago and they told me that they were going to be making another run but they were going to be phasing them out within the next couple of years. Someone else might call and ask to see if they get the same story.

Rice is GREAT! You cannot go wrong with them. My choice over GM if I had to choose... One door closes the other is open.

GM, would be my last choice, I use Rice, Rayl, Hoyt, Getz, Burton, Colerain, and a couple others before I would choose them. Rice, and Rayl come breached, and have a better finish, Burton's great. Bobbie has quality product. I do sympathize with those guy's that want an odd size for their TC, as GM seemed to be the only guys that did that commercially. I have used a couple over the years, but found them a bit of a pain to work with, needing more draw filing to finish, and were hard when cutting tenons by hand. They did shoot great though.

Bill

I was told that within the next ten years they probably will not be making anymore muzzle loading barrels. The demand for cartridge barrels is taking up all their time. Another name to add to the list of barrel makers is Jim Carpenter 208-245-3693. He bought most of the machines from Jerry Cunningham ( Orion Barrel) several years back and is now making custom barrels at a reasonable price. He does the deep hole drilling for some of my barrels.

Just got off the phone with Dennis at GM. They will be moving the muzzle loading part of the company and it will be down for 6 months to a year. They do have quite a few barrels in stock so if you need one call 603-447-1095. When the supply is gone it will be a while before they get more. At this time they are not discontinuing the muzzle loading barrels, he said it is part of their heritage.

I queried a cousin at North Conway, NH- just up the road- and he reports that most of Green Mtns capacity is taken up with manufacturing barrels for "fantasy rifles" based on the M16 platform. It's likely the same applies to barrels for the 10-22 family.

My local- Lyons, CO- barrel maker likes to do calibers in runs of 30 cals, 22 cals, 6.5s, etc. I hope GM will do occasional runs with us in mind.

One nice thing about GM barrels is that they are made of steels commonly spcified for gun barrels. Many others made for ML use are made of various softer, leaded steels. Plenty strong enough, and wonderful machinability, but not as wear resistant. That said, the Getz barrel on my 40 cal squirrel rifle shoots well with almost any reasonable combination I push down the spout, and has done so for many, many rounds.

White Fox

I am currently awaiting barrels from C. Burton and Rice. Can't get a response from Getz. Guess he's to busy. I guess for noew Burton and Rice will make my barrels. Also Colerain.

You can also do well with Long Hammock barrels from FL. Riley makes excellent Barrels. Chambers uses them on some kits.

I have a couple of rifles with Ed Rayl barrels and they shoot great!
8905c

Jaeger, Sorry to take so long to reply.

Lyons, CO barrel maker is Mark Channlynn, dba Rocky Mountain Rifle Works, 931 Stone Canyon Rd, Longmont, CO 80503. Modern rifle barrels only. Learned the trade from Boots Obermeyer.

Superb barrels. Most go on competition rifles. Order now for delivery in 2014.....

White Fox

Mark built my .257 Roberts on an Obermeyer barrel, and it would shoot into one hole with 75gr, hollowpoints at 100 yards.

I've noticed that TOW has been out of most sizes of GM barrels for some time. Tennessee Valley Manufacturing has not carried GM swamped barrels for a couple of years, and now gets some of it's straight octogon from a maker called Leelere. At GM's website they show fewer calibers in each size than they once did. I hope they were shooting straight (couldn't resist that :haha: ) when they said it would only be a 6-12 month interruption :idunno: . - John

My bet is that you won't see the drop-in's again and if we do they won't be as reasonable price wise. I can't see them continuing to make them when TC isn't around anymore. I can't say I know for sure but it's a stong hunch and it usually isn't far off base. We shall see.

Back