• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New York Deer Found With Chronic Wasting Disease

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
By MATT PACENZA, Staff writer
First published: Friday, April 1, 2005
ALBANY -- A white-tailed deer on an Oneida County farm tested positive for chronic wasting disease, the first such case in the East for an illness that has threatened deer and elk in the Midwest and West.

The fact that chronic wasting disease was found in New York could damage the state's venison farming and deer-hunting industries, but state officials said Thursday there was no cause for panic.
The disease was discovered last week in a 6-year-old, white-tailed doe during a state program that randomly tests both wild and farm-raised deer. It was confirmed Wednesday at a federal testing facility in Ames, Iowa.

The animal showed no signs of the illness before it was slaughtered in early March, said Bruce Ache, a state Department of Agriculture and Markets veterinarian.

Chronic wasting disease, a neurological ailment, is part of the same family of illnesses as mad cow disease. There is no evidence, however that people can become ill by eating meat from an animal infected with chronic wasting disease.

"We want to alert people that venison in the state of New York has no potential for harm," said state Health Commissioner Antonia Novello.

State wildlife pathologist Ward Stone said the Oneida County case is cause for a stepped-up testing and eradication effort, but deer are in little danger.

"Even in the places where it's been established, it has not decimated populations by a long shot," Stone said.

Officials would not identify the farm where the deer lived, saying only that the owner had 18 deer, which he sometimes sold as breeding stock. They will be killed and tested. In addition, officials will look closely at six other deer farms that bought deer from the Oneida County farmer. Animals at those farms may also be slaughtered. Farmers are compensated when their deer are killed.

:(

That will really be a bad thing if it get spread out here in the East too.

Woody

I was also shocked by references to "Venison Farming", "Breeding stock", "Selling" deer, etc...always thought all that sort of thing with game animals was highly unlawful...learn something new every day
::

I was also shocked by references to "Venison Farming", "Breeding stock", "Selling" deer, etc...always thought all that sort of thing with game animals was highly unlawful...learn something new every day

Yeah, surprised me too the first time I saw a "deer farm" passing thru some little town in Wisconsin. Seems that it's a fairly large niche industry, smaller than emu or ostrich farms but still churning a good bit of profit for those that can do it. Actually not too bad an idea for some of us city dwellers who can't or don't hunt for various reasons but still want some venison for the table.

I've had farm raised venison, there's no difference in taste or texture from wild, but I got mine from a farm where the only "farm" about it is the name and how the animals are harvested and processed. The deer are free range and the herd is monitored and controlled for health and breeding purposes.

Sure is a heck of a day to make that kind of press release tho. Almost thought it was a joke, and :imo: CWD just ain't that sort of joking material.

vic

That will really be a bad thing if it get spread out here in the East too.

Woody

::

ALL deer farms in the state of PA are prohibited to import or export deer since CWD has been out. I know a few people who have deer farms . They sell doe urine and the deer industry has really went down hill. A mature buck was bringing big bucks ( no punn intended ) in the 10 to 20 grand range. One told me as of now you are lucky to find a buyer.

Woody

Unfortunate news for sure.

I think it's only a matter of time for us in Michigan as Wisconsin has it. I would imagine that other states will be showing CWD instances as well.

I'm not sure if it's been more the farming of venision that has caused this or game clubs or both? :hmm:

I'd put my money on game clubs, which are really only shooting galleries in my view adn import animals from all over without testing them.

Game clubs use huge bait piles to bring the deer into shooting range and situations.

Farming uses centeralized feeding troughs and feeders.

These types of feeding behaviors are not natural for deer and it causes them to nuzzle more during feeding, which is what the DNR suspects is the prime method of transmission.

Michigan has banned the huge bait piles (although too many folks still do, which is sad).

I've never used bait to draw in a deer in my life.

Michigan game clubs along with deer farmers are also banned from importing or exporting deer and elk and perhaps other species as well.

Game farming is subject to USDA testing and evaluations and inspections exactly as other species, but Michigan has pulled the plug on all importing and exporting of deer and elk.

For more info, the WI & MI DNR have much detail and information.

Again, really sorry to hear about CWD in NY State.

Back