• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new toy at last

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its all I can have on my licence (shotgun) at the moment. I belong to a rifle club, so I will be upgrading my licence soon . The only place I can use ball is on a aproved range, I cant use it for live quarry .

Well that doesn't sound too good. :shocked2: You can only have one shot gun and have to upgrade a licence to buy something else? That's rough. I wish you the best.

luckily I can have more than one shotgun, at the moment I have 7 :grin: We are not restricted to how many shotguns we have, as long as you have a reason to own one. Rifles/pistols on the other hand are more restricted. When I apply for my firearms licence (section 1, covers rifles etc)I will only be able to have maybe 5 at first. We have to have good reason to own a gun :cursing:
We are very restricted and have to jump thru a few hoops :shake:

My neighbors wife comes from a farm in a place called Devon ( not sure of the spelling) I have heard her complain long and loud about what she had to go through to own a shotgun back home. I hear it every time I haul a new gun back from the flea market or junk store with no paperwork hassels at all. She said the quickest way to drive some British government officials batsh*t would be to let them have a peek in any of my closets, gun vaults, or the walls in my place as more guns live in any of these places than she would have been allowed to own in 80 years had she remained in the UK, and some she would not have been allowed to own at all.
Sounds like you have a nice smoothbore, is it a cap lock or flinter? 777 substitute powder I have tried in the cap and ball revolvers and it worked OK, the smoke just didn't smell right, it will not work in the pan of a flinter very well. Once opened it will turn into a solid mass in less than a year if you have a lot of humidity so use it up and never leave it in a horn or flask. I am not going to say that it's great stuff, I sometimes have trouble getting BP and used the sub during a dry spell, but BP is what I like to use, just works best in the original style guns. 777 is probably better in the modern in lines that use shotgun primers to fire the charge.

hopefully the pictures are posted above. The gun is a caplock and I use a black powder we know as TS2, its classed as a medium grade :idunno: it is proved for subs as well, but my other gun I will only use black powder in it. Well it is 150 yrs old

I see the pics now, I missed them earlier, very nice :thumbsup: I am not sure what medium grade would be here in the states, I use Goex powder, and when things get tight I will use whatever black powder I can find. I ordered 50 pounds of Goex in various grades so I am set for a bit I hope. The big flinters like the Bess eat it up fast.

Back