• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New member coming fast out of the gate with a unusual idea/request

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm getting into the age in life when I can afford some of the dumb fun toys I couldn't when I was younger. One of the styles of gun I really love is the jezzail, the camel back rifles with the cartoonishly long barrels. It's next to impossible to find one that's actually in shooting shape, so I'm opting to try to make one.

So my parameters for my project are that I want it to be a percussion lock, with a long barrel(at least 45, more if possible), in a very high caliber(preferably .72) the action shouldn't be too hard to find, what's going to be a gripe to find is someone who could make the barrel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

FTBB,
Welcome to the forum!
For what it's worth, a lot of Jezails came in about 50 calibre or so.

This might increase your options.
Rick here on this site has had a few original barrels lined by Bobby Hoyt.
Rick mainly seems to hang around the Pre Flintlock site....

good luck and best,
Rich.

Hi all,

I'm getting into the age in life when I can afford some of the dumb fun toys I couldn't when I was younger. One of the styles of gun I really love is the jezzail, the camel back rifles with the cartoonishly long barrels. It's next to impossible to find one that's actually in shooting shape, so I'm opting to try to make one.

So my parameters for my project are that I want it to be a percussion lock, with a long barrel(at least 45, more if possible), in a very high caliber(preferably .72) the action shouldn't be too hard to find, what's going to be a gripe to find is someone who could make the barrel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!
Wow! Hey, get a Camel, too! (joking):)

FTBB,
Welcome to the forum!
For what it's worth, a lot of Jezails came in about 50 calibre or so.

This might increase your options.
Rick here on this site has had a few original barrels lined by Bobby Hoyt.
Rick mainly seems to hang around the Pre Flintlock site....

good luck and best,
Rich.
I'm aware, but I'm really in love with the ridiculous, so if I'm going to do it, I wanna go big.

I've heard the name Hoyt thrown around quite a bit, but I've also heard he's difficult to contact. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate a good craftsman, but I like to have all the details clarified before I spend the money. If I'm constantly chasing phone calls I need to know it's worth it.

Thanks.

Welcome!

Yes, Bobby Hoyt could reline one, but with a 72-cal of any recoil I'd fear the DRY wood would fly apart ...

Hoyt could still make you a barrel. Find someone with a stock duplicator, but due to the drop, you'd need a wide stock blank, with good grain structure through the wrist to butt. But make it a flintlock, LOL! Here's one of mine, the other has MORE Mother of Pearl on it.
1708557827986.png

Welcome!

Yes, Bobby Hoyt could reline one, but with a 72-cal of any recoil I'd fear the DRY wood would fly apart ...

Hoyt could still make you a barrel. Find someone with a stock duplicator, but due to the drop, you'd need a wide stock blank, with good grain structure through the wrist to butt. But make it a flintlock, LOL! Here's one of mine, the other has MORE Mother of Pearl on it.
View attachment 297116
Thank you, this is very helpful. Could you maybe help me understand what "relining" means? What all would that process entail?

The stock I can worry about later, and I fully intend to get some cool decorations on it. I'm tempted to try the flintlock, but percussion just seems more reliable to me.

What caliber and barrel length is the picture there? It's beautiful.

Welcome to the forum from Western North Carolina.

Considered a Jezzail years ago, maybe from memories of them in cartoons as a kid (Popeye?), but the thought quickly moved to the back burner. Barrels of 42” in length seemed long enough and easy to come by. Figured I’d use a lock from or intended to be used on a Bess (read Bess locks were common on originals), another easy find. The daunting part for me was all the bling that one finds on these highly personalized custom guns. Maybe some day.

Wish you luck in your quest.

Latest posts

Back