• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New large bowie style knife.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arby

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey guys. Been a long time since I've made a knife for myself. Felt the urge and here it is. 6mm Leaf spring blade 270mm long x 45mm deep, red stag handle, brass guard, mustard patina, OAL 420mm. Its only fairly plain but its going to be a user so embellishment is not really needed(also its for me and I couldn't be stuffed making it pretty) Made a sheath and it hangs fairly comfortably on the belt. Its way too big to be practical but its a bit of fun and I'm a big dude. Hope you like it.

Sweet! Good work on a working blade. Don't know where you are, but size of knife is very arbitrary, and depends on the uses intended and size of potential jobs and adversaries. At one time here in Arkansas a man was not fully dressed without a Bowie knife on his person. :grin: Of course we are now all civilized by fiat and such fine weapons are frowned upon by people plagued by retarded sexual and emotional security. :youcrazy: I'd rather have your knife for security any day. :wink: Tree :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Nice work...everybody needs a knife to those short of axe requirements. Beauty! :thumbsup:

A very nice piece of work. Excellent balance of proportions. Good clean execution of the blade, with a very nicely done plunge and heel. Perfect sizing of guard in thickness and length. A great choice in the stag. A prime example of great proportions and fine execution over riding any need of embellishment. When done that neatly, plain can have it's own class of beauty. If I were making that, there is nothing I would change. Excellent! Well done!

arby said:
Its way too big to be practical but its a bit of fun and I'm a big dude. Hope you like it.

That one turned out well! :bow:

As too your statement of being "too big to be practical"! I have my own theory as too Bowie knives!

Anyone willing to take off into "Wild Country" so to speak, the idea of a larger knife seems to be a good choice.

In other words I would not want to do hand to hand combat with a pocket knife, unless that was my only choice! :grin:

However I feel like a knife would have been the most essential tool you could ask for in "Wild Country" and while a Bowie would have had been the choice for certain tasks. I prefer to think that one would have carried more than one knife and the smaller ones would have more suited to smaller tasks.

Also if something happened to one of their knives they always had at least one back!

Then again this is my theory on the subject of Bowies! :yakyak: :rotf:

Anyway I still like how that one turned out, and as Wick said, plain has its own beauty!!!

Good knife for hog hunting, if you do any of that in your neck of the woods. The straight"ish" point good for sticking, an oval guard that won't snag on clothes as it is pulled from the sheath, a corn-cob rough stag handle for a sure grip. The weight in the blade (stick tang through stag handle). Lots of good features, good job.

That's a beautiful knife, good job! :thumbsup: I would be proud to carry it myself. I really like the stag handle, it gives the knife a good balanced look.

Now that is one VERY nice knife. I love the style and every thing about it - you did good :hatsoff:

G'day Arby, good one, cobber. I was looking at the photo, decide to read the text (!) and when I came to the word "stuffed" I looked at your location.

Yep, another Aussie! :wink:

Cheers guys, I've been mucking around in the back yard with it, trimming trees (destroying)and having a bit of a play. can't wait to try it out on some porkers, we're heading out west in a few weeks. Should also fit in well at rendezvous.

Agree with all the other accolades.
The size is a matter of choice. But, IMHO, it is a bit big for most 'using' tasks. I have a knife with an 11 1/2" blade and it's main function has been as a demo when I am giving my Rev. Rifleman presentations.

That is a nice blade. I think it's a good size for a good hunting knife. I'm guessing since you made it for yourself it must be the right size for what you need. I'll bet really nice to take to the outback.

I've since run through a few grunters. results were....well, what you'd expect from a very large, broad, shaving sharp knife. Also used it for quartering said pigs(dog meat) and also used it butchering a couple red deer. Edge held up well and it currently resides on my bedside table. getting itchy to make something else.

Back