• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New gun - browning process still occurring

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scroggwe

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just this week purchased a new Colonial Fowler from TOTW built by gunmaker Bobby Christian. It is a beautifully built gun, but I don't think the gunmaker sufficiently stopped the browning process on the metal parts. If I rub an oiled cloth over the browned surfaces, I get a rust colored cloth. I don't believe this is normal. I have a North Carolina rifle built by Andy Knight with a browned barrel that this doesn't occur on. I have rubbed down the metal parts on this fowler 4 or 5 times with a cotton cloth and Breakfree and still get a rust colored cloth. I have tried lightly rubbing the metal with Scotchbright, but have to be careful not to rub the browning off. How do I stop the browning process on this fowler. The rusting is worse on the bottom side of the frizzen and below the lower jaw of the cock. In those areas I can actually feel the surface rust. Keep in mind that this is a brand new unfired fowler!

You will need to rub down the barrel with baking soda and water to neutralize the browning solution. I just wet down the barrel and then rub in Arm and Hammer baking soda all over the outside. I like to then put a very thin coat of linseed oil on the outside and I've never had any trouble with rust.

Like the professor said. Baking soda and water will neutralize it. After you neutralize it you can heat the parts with a torch...lightly...to remove water and then coat the parts with motor oil. Leave it over night and then wipe down the parts and reassemble.

HD

Borrow the better halves blow dryer it drys the metal fast and is not as risky to run as a torch.

You will need to rub down the barrel with baking soda and water to neutralize the browning solution. I just wet down the barrel and then rub in Arm and Hammer baking soda all over the outside. I like to then put a very thin coat of linseed oil on the outside and I've never had any trouble with rust.

Bioprof is right on... I used to use BLO, but now I use Turtlewax, seems to work just as well with less of a mess.

I like quick results so use household ammonia which is available at many stores. Never had satisfactory "killing" of the rusting process w/ baking soda and all the applications that follow. Ammonia stops after rusting very quickly w/ only one soaking {2 mins} and am puzzled why more builders don't use it. What one applies afterwards is optional.....auto wax works for me.....Fred

Back