• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need Suggestions and Advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don Steel said:
I were starting out again, wanting a rifle pretty much dedicated to hunting, I'd go with a .54.
THEN....I'd get a 40 for day-to-day fun at the target range.

Then you will need a .32 0r .36 for squirrels and bunnys, LOL. Keep yer powder dry.......robin :hmm:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want a light nice handling barrel I would check out the A weight southern classic barrel in .50 cal. Jason builds at Rice Barrels I have used a lot of them and they make a nice 7# rifle don't know if tvm uses them but you could give it a try

I have a 50cal Lancaster with a swamped 38 inch barrel and browned Iron fittings (which really looks good on a stained maple stock) made by Tip Curtis. I also have a 50cal Lyman GPR flintlock. Weight wise, to me, I swear the Lancaster feels like it weighs half of what he Lyman weighs, even though the barrel is 6 inches longer, because of the swamped barrel. DANNY

At 38 inches, the swamped Rice barrel I have in my Lancaster is nice. It doesn't feel heavy at all, and is extremely accurate. Like Danny said, the GPR feels a lot more weighty.

I just ordered a .45 flintlock from TVM. I went with the recommended 13/16 straight barrel. Weight should not be a problem. Good luck on your search. I already have a 54 cal which will most likely be put toward the back when the 45 comes in.
But, then again, my main purpose will be paper punching. But, you never know, 45 will handle deer sized game with a proper shot placement and range.

I put my order in a few days ago. 50 cal with a 36" barrel.

Now the hard part. Waiting.

Nice.

Yes, I was told 9-10 months. That's ok though. Have my 54cal Trade rifle to shoot and a persona to work on.

Back