• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gear List - Newbie - 2024

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoastComanche

32 Cal
Reaction score
2024 Muzzleloader Guide - Notes
Putting together a packing List for what to get to begin a semi-traditional style of practicing ML hunting. Please feel free to add recommendations and advice on what you think works best in your experience.
Rifle - Something maybe a little shorter than a full long rifle im a sucker for mannlicher styled rifles. Although a long rifle may function better in terms of what I want. I really think Lymans are nice, but still reading on twist rates etc. Just want something that is accurate, that can shoot both conical and round ball.

EDUCATION
CDFW Course Hunting
CDFW Advanced Courses
- Land Nav
- First Aid
- Packing
- Animal Specific Courses - Waitlisted
- Turkey hunting waitlisted
- Deer hunting waitlisted
- Waterfoul - waitlisted
- Muzzleloading Forum
- Youtube - Folks Firearms Collective, I love Muzzleloading, Capandball, Muzzleloaders.com

TARGET
Turkey - Pig - Deer - Elk

That is the order id like to progress with god given opportunity depending on all the variables.

RIFLE
Goals - Accurate - Well made hold/gain its value - want something to hand down, preserve. - historically based.

Rifling Spin Rate - Not completely educated yet
Nipple/ Cap Size - #11 seems to be very common, would like to make my own using recycled cans.
Sight - Lyman so far seems to be the most practical with a " peep sight" one rifle im looking at seems to have the proper " old school " narrow post sight.
Powder - no understanding yet
Ammo - 50 seems that round is common, carries a very flat stable FPS, It seems like a good " well rounded" caliber. ( see what I did there )

RIFLE ACCESSORIES
Bag - Id like to make my own out of heavy duct canvas, but I see some traditional leather bags that are really beautiful.
Bullet Dye - not sure, have read some older molds have less flashing
Bismuth - Legal alternative to lead shot in California
Lead - Target Practice I assume I can fire lead - will read more
Patches - would like to make my own. little understanding of thickness of materials. etc
Oil for shooting- no understanding
Cleaning Equipment - Oil, Rods etc
Wood Care -
Metal Care -
Sling - Preferably leather not sure
Percussion Cap maker - hard to find caps, self reliant
paper cartridge maker - just cool - curious about if it can help shelf life
Case - not sure - traditional would look nice. Although newer may help keep away elements.

Hunting Accessories
Education - California CDFW Course + Advanced courses
Find club or community active out of southern California - unknown
License
USGS MAP
Compass
Firestarter
Knife - Utility x2 and Skinning
Axe - Not sure
Backpack - not educated enough to choose size, or features
Drybag
Plastic Bags