• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need Help Jäger Rifle Load nothing works😩😩

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

German Jäger

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hello Friends,
I have many Flinters and all works right but my Jäger Rifle a Totw jäger Set in .62 with Colraine Barrel 31“ it want getno good groupings! I have no more Ideas i test with PrB in .595/.610 i test with .20 Slugs from Brennecke that i calibrate for fit i use Swiss no.3 in different weight have different patches Felts ect…..
But nothing give good grouping! Is the barrel bad ? What can i do the have good results?! Hope for your help

Try a wad or filler between the powder charge and patched ball. Weight your round balls/ slugs.

From Colerain sight.
"By far, one of the most common problems for rifles not to shoot to their full potential is to have the barrels too tight in the stock and not having the underlugs (tennons) slotted. Whether you build the firearm yourself or have someone build it for you, please check these two factors. Barrels should be allowed to move somewhat in the stock. Tennons should be opened up to form a slot to allow the stock to move back and forth during the changing seasons and also with the heating up of the barrel during firing."

It appears from their inventory twist is 1x66" with roundbottom rifling although did not see a 31" barrel length. .610 ball and thick patch .018 or more. 70gr of 3f should be almost the sweet spot. Others I am sure will chime in as I am also thinking no ignition issues to create shooter problems with hold. Did not see your powder charge weight you were shooting?

Also what distances are you shooting and group size. For some of us with bad eyes a dinner plate at 25 yards is a good group. Others that is a good group at 200 yards.

Yes sounds good, but how can i check the barrel stock fitting right the unddrlugs i check for slots give me a advice for it👌🏻

The underlugs that hold the barrel to the stock should have a slot in them where the pin goes through, not just a hole drilled through them for the pin. You want that slot to relieve pressure when the wood expands and contracts due to the weather.

Others have mentioned slotting tenon's, also don't crank down the tang screw.

How do your patches look? A blown patch will affect accuracy. If patches are cut, you may have rough rifling that needs to be polished. Another thing to check is the crown. Any damage or nicks will also affect accuracy.

I have the same barrel in my Jaeger. Best accuracy was with a .610 ball, .015 patch and 90 grains 2f.

The barrel look great , thats what i all check. But can any mistake weight so heavy i did not assemble the kit a friend of mine do it in the 1998 an sell it to me 2021 but he did no recall about any datas he is a dealer for bp guns and reloading things. I like the käger but no accurary ist a bad taste so was at a point with no ideal by the way the .610 with 0.15 patch dont go down only the .610/0.10“ patch

The fit around the breech plug area is critical. If you remove the barrel, and put it back, it should be in the same spot every time. If you have too much wood removed under the barrel tang, it will not be bedded like it should be. You can check this fit with inletting black, or dry eraser marker, or even lipstick.if it’s not supported by a tight fit to the stock, you may need to glass bed the breech area for a rock solid fit.

I have been told with round bottom grooves, thicker to thickest patch you can go with. So .595 ball and thickest patch you can go with. Then either 75 grain of 3f or 90 gr 2f as a starting point. Shoot like 10 shots each. Especially if you have taken the barrel out. It will help settle the barrel back in and give you a solid base line. Take your time and have confidence in your gun. It has an accurate sweet spot. Just need to find it. Be consistent. What lube you using? Again be consistent. Over here lot of guys start with spit patching. Stick the patch in your mouth and get it wet. Only change one thing at a time after you get your 10 shot or more base lines. You can find that sweet spot. Skip the slugs for a while.....

Ok, i use wonderlube, i know spit is perfect but i use it for hunting so it is no option but i k ow it from my taget rifle.
One thing I did with a stubborn rifle was to remove all the barrel stock pins and hold the barrel in with the handyman’s friend- duct tape! Just the tang bolt secured it. It immediately shot better.
Ok i can try but what when it shoot better so?

Here's a couple tricks. When shooting a m/l rifle , rest the barrel on a solid gun rest device between end r/r pipe and the lower entry pipe. Hold the forearm with the right hand as if shooting offhand. Hold the gun firmly against your shoulder , and don't crain your neck forward to see the sights , military style. That prevents having the front comb of the stock from injuring your cheek.. You can painlessly shoot most m/l rifles accurately , from a bench rest , and off hand. One of my favorite calibers has been , the .62 cal..I have had a custom built .62 jager , and a custom .62 cal 38" longrifle. Both had excellent Colerain rifled barrels. The muzzles on both rifles were coned by me , and made dull and polished with fine emory cloth. I think I used commercial patches that were labled on the package .015 ". This is a misnomer , as when using a mic that pinches the cloth tightly , as does the tops if the rifling , the patch material actually measures .012 ". The round lead ball was .610 , and patches were greased with any grease lube. Apply the grease , and lay the patch on a hard surface , and remove most of the grease with a finger. Load for Jager was 85 gr. real FFg black powder the load for the long rifle was 90 gr. FFg black powder. I killed a number of deer with the Jager , and many more with the long rifle , than the jager. I also found , the longer distance between the front and rear sight allowed me to take longer shots at deer than with the short Jager rifle. The 90Gr. FFg load has significant recoil , and the longer38 " oct. 1 in. barrel adds more weight to the overall which helps manage the recoil. The accuracy of the long rifle was good enough for taking 125 yd. shots from a rest position. Loved that rifle , but too much recoil , and bad eyesight caused them to be sold, Hope this helpsyou to make the rifle shoot. Crown the barrel first , .62 cals need a short starter to load them , even with the correct lube , patch , and ball size.

Back