• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need Help Jäger Rifle Load nothing works😩😩

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear friends, I shooting long time with Flintlock and yes when it gets Akari you need a bench. This is absolute possibly and I do it so that’s the reason why I am ask you I know the shooting rules but the damn river doesn’t group that’s my problem I know about patches I know about round boards all this I know, and with all my Kibler rifles And my pedersoli antique rifles. It works, but with this Them Yeager rifle it not works. That’s the problem and I don’t know how.

I had trouble until the moment I found what the barrel wanted. It shoots excellent with 50/50 beeswax and olive oil. No consistency with many other things I tried. Relax and go for the endurance.

You may be getting too worried. Start over with your basics. Does the cleaning patch go through the bore even or is it rough or a belled out spot that pulls way too easy for a short bit? Get your lugs and pins clearances and back in. Shoot off a bench to avoid personal error. Make sure you have established fast reliable ignition. Determine your cleaning routine. Make a series of targets with the variations of your loads and patch thickness, material type and type of lube. Then you can compare and keep for reference when necessary.

Hope this helps. Some times the problem is the one thing we have been looking at the whole time but couldn’t see. If your worried about the barrel get some one to bore scope it and see. There are attachments for your cell phone also.

Yes of bench!!
Your an experienced shooter. Check the sights for tightness and have someone else shoot it. Up the powder charge 20% or so from where you were.

How many grains were you shooting? Pic of target and number of shots.

Were your results any better than the 15-25 cm before? Any progress at all or just not to where you want it yet.

My flinter took 2 months of fairly consistent shooting to get it dialed in. I too thought I might have to rework the barrel. Previously I had dialed in several others with ease. You never know

I shoot of bench 90 grs Schweizer 3 then a fur wad .595 Ball with 0.18 pillow thicking the same with 0.015” with or without wads. The groupings are the same as before ans tge same with pins in. I try .610 Balls with 0.010” Patch but these patches are loose out so they to thin. I will try next werk simple version only spit patch no wad evtl. Polish powder that have little less power

Last flinter I had with a barrel of that manufacture was a fight! I couldn't get it to group off the bench no matter what I did. Sent barrel back to manufacture to correct, and it came back worse! I ended up bending it in crook of a tree, and it fixed it! Needless to say, I don't have any rifles with that barrel manufacture in my stable.

Be sure to load the largest size ball that will slip into the muzzle, and adjust patching thickness. Try Dawn and water lube as well

Ok, fid you think the barrel ist manure?! I make maybee 250 dhots inkl. The preowner! He naturly say that he had no problems bit sell it quick to me😎🤔

Can you spin your barrel on a fixture and check for “run out”? If it’s straight then look hard at the bore. I brought a rough one back to life with lapping it. If the outside has a slight bulge that would indicate problems also. Since you have determined it might be a problem gun and a history that is unknown I would meticulously check every aspect of the barrel

Well if nothing helps, you can at least get the barrel smoothbored and use shot in it.

Wow! After all you have tried I would try crowning the barrel by removing it from the gun, starting with 220 paper folded over the end of my finger or thumb, rock the barrel back and forth with one hand while rocking the 220 tipped finger on the corner of the bore. go around it a few times or more, move on to 320 paper, and finish with 400 paper or even 600 paper if it suits you. This is assuming the bore has not been 'coned', and even if it was this may help and even cure the problem. You don't mention how your non groupings pattern out. You should mark each shot 1,2,3,etc to see if there is a pattern to how it is forming into a seemingly non pattern group. That may indicate there are stresses in the steel itself, it happens. If after all that, with no satisfaction I would have to conclude the barrel needs to be replaced. Best of luck to you

German Jäger

Robin

Today we think about the Pinholders at the Barrel the Builder weld them on the Barrel😢😢and at this point the feel a little tightness in the barrel so we think this is the Problem!! I think we make new Holders with classic Dovetails and when all is done the Barel send to Suhl and get straightend (egalisiert) to remove the tight spotes! What you think

Latest posts

Back