• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My three quarter scale Revolutionary War carriage.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zulu

32 Cal.
Reaction score

This was one of my very early cannon carriages. I built it in 1998. It sat in my foyer for more than a decade. I mounted a South Bend Replica "swivel barrel" on it. The barrel was 36" long and weighed 175 lbs. It had a 1.5" bore. It had 36" wheels that I built. After building one pair of wheels, I decided to never do it again!!
I had it on my website for a really long time with a pretty heavy price because I really didn't want to sell it.
Well, a golf course in a Northern state paid my "I don't want to sell it price".

It was going to sit outside. I told them what had to be done to maintain it but that it was wood and would do what ever wood does when left unmaintained.

Here are some before and after pictures.
This has always been one of my favorites.
Crying Zulu

e3p5Hc6l.jpeg

bVXQ02Sl.jpeg

dZC4NgGl.jpeg

Tha7oXWl.jpeg

XpodFaJl.jpeg

vOjdO2Wl.jpeg

2mEBnWwl.jpeg

BrNiMoNl.jpeg

XXPGoMvl.jpeg

OMG. A northerner fer sure. HA. What a shame, the fact you didn't really wanna lt it go makes it even worse. The guy trying to et refund? BEAUTIFUL to BTW.

Did you get the option of buying it back? At least the barrel should be still useable.

I'll bet those pix are from years ago. Sad story, for sure!

If the barrel wasn't full of rust, it might be worth getting it along with the rest of the metal parts.

It would be a chance to make changes and do it better second time around.

The gun is no longer mine. It belongs to the golf country club. I don't know what they did with it. They were jerks to deal with in the first place and ignored my maintenance advice. I don't want anything to do with them anymore.

Sometimes it is very hard to put a price on your craftsmanship. In trying to make some items myself I understand the blood and sweat that goes into a project, especially the first set of spoke wagon wheels. And it would be nice to leave some of your work behind so your child can say my Dad made that. In your case you have so many other nice items you've built, that will be no problem. It always hurt to see a something really nice get destroyed because of lack of knowledge or just got it to easily to understand it's real worth. Unless you make it or work for it you just don't understand.

The fact that you made it, shows you have the skill and that is a great accomplishment to be proud of and was a gift to you.

When my wife and I bought our home in 76 there was this garage that I would ride by on the way to work. It was a very pretty and looked like it was built magnificent. Every time driving by I would think of the spot for that building on my land. It was so beautiful painted white. But after years of complete neglect this picture was taken. And it was not even mine, but was sad. I feel for you.

G1.jpg

G2.jpg

Sometimes it is very hard to put a price on your craftsmanship. In trying to make some items myself I understand the blood and sweat that goes into a project, especially the first set of spoke wagon wheels. And it would be nice to leave some of your work behind so your child can say my Dad made that. In your case you have so many other nice items you've built, that will be no problem. It always hurt to see a something really nice get destroyed because of lack of knowledge or just got it to easily to understand it's real worth. Unless you make it or work for it you just don't understand.

The fact that you made it, shows you have the skill and that is a great accomplishment to be proud of and was a gift to you.

When my wife and I bought our home in 76 there was this garage that I would ride by on the way to work. It was a very pretty and looked like it was built magnificent. Every time driving by I would think of the spot for that building on my land. It was so beautiful painted white. But after years of complete neglect this picture was taken. And it was not even mine, but was sad. I feel for you.

View attachment 307773
View attachment 307774

Rich44, That looks so sad.
Building the wheels was a challenge. I built that carriage a long time ago. It was one of my early attempts at carriage building .
The wheels are not dished but still came out nice for a first try.

EuCCyarl.jpeg

rSRGmhgl.jpeg

E3PDaKll.jpeg

z7Ilqhfl.jpeg

YgnuLzal.jpeg

VnO5yL4l.jpeg

E8pBKxJl.jpeg

njrfIGRl.jpeg

WQaj55hl.jpeg

This picture after I got my new front doors.

AmGyHUJl.jpeg

This was one of my very early cannon carriages. I built it in 1998. It sat in my foyer for more than a decade. I mounted a South Bend Replica "swivel barrel" on it. The barrel was 36" long and weighed 175 lbs. It had a 1.5" bore. It had 36" wheels that I built. After building one pair of wheels, I decided to never do it again!!
I had it on my website for a really long time with a pretty heavy price because I really didn't want to sell it.
Well, a golf course in a Northern state paid my "I don't want to sell it price".

It was going to sit outside. I told them what had to be done to maintain it but that it was wood and would do what ever wood does when left unmaintained.

Here are some before and after pictures.
This has always been one of my favorites.
Crying Zulu

e3p5Hc6l.jpeg

bVXQ02Sl.jpeg

dZC4NgGl.jpeg

Tha7oXWl.jpeg

XpodFaJl.jpeg

vOjdO2Wl.jpeg

2mEBnWwl.jpeg

BrNiMoNl.jpeg

XXPGoMvl.jpeg

What a shame they ruined it.

Rich44, That looks so sad.
Building the wheels was a challenge. I built that carriage a long time ago. It was one of my early attempts at carriage building .
The wheels are not dished but still came out nice for a first try.

EuCCyarl.jpeg

rSRGmhgl.jpeg

E3PDaKll.jpeg

z7Ilqhfl.jpeg

YgnuLzal.jpeg

VnO5yL4l.jpeg

E8pBKxJl.jpeg

njrfIGRl.jpeg

WQaj55hl.jpeg

This picture after I got my new front doors.

AmGyHUJl.jpeg
ummm, just wondering why did you need new doors? lololol

Wonderful craftsmanship. You should be very proud.
Having built many small woodworking projects over the years, I know how attached you can grow to the ones that turned out so nice. It's heartbreaking to see them treated without the respect they deserve.

Latest posts

Back