• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WITHDRAWN 50 Cal. Kilber Colonial

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I can see on the pictures the metal parts look rough and in need of more sanding. No big deal there it is the stock that worries me. Looks to also need more sanding definitely would need to be refinished but with Permalyn sealer which is supposed to penetrate into the wood as the finish I have to wonder if the stock could be sanded down enough to be able to refinish the stock. with the prospect of having to get a new stock which would probably be $300 to $400 More of a chance than I can do. If you decide to come down on the price I might be interested.

Not trying to kill a sale but I think you might take it as a challenge to correct the most obvious blemishes. That would be some work on the metal parts that need it and the badly stained areas of the stock. It would be a good learning experience and unless you really over did it improve the rifle.

From what I can see on the pictures the metal parts look rough and in need of more sanding. No big deal there it is the stock that worries me. Looks to also need more sanding definitely would need to be refinished but with Permalyn sealer which is supposed to penetrate into the wood as the finish I have to wonder if the stock could be sanded down enough to be able to refinish the stock. with the prospect of having to get a new stock which would probably be $300 to $400 More of a chance than I can do. If you decide to come down on the price I might be interested.
She is rough for sure. I may just go with a new stock, it’ll be about the same money involved if I were to sell this and buy a new kit, whereas just buying a stock

Make sure your chisels are FLAT and SHARP before you start cutting again. Take little nibbles, not big bites. I try to make my mistakes slowly, hoping they will be easier to fix.

There is a lot of great advice by much better builders than me here. Take advantage of it. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!

Make sure your chisels are FLAT and SHARP before you start cutting again. Take little nibbles, not big bites. I try to make my mistakes slowly, hoping they will be easier to fix.

There is a lot of great advice by much better builders than me here. Take advantage of it. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!
Much appreciated!

So what!This is your first,,and it your rifle,so shoot it,, use it like it is who is going to care?And even if some guy at the range,says something,,its the first,,i had one with several mistakes for years it waa first,,,but I shot it ,do you yjink a rifle like this did not get made back then by a first time guy?? i would keep it as it is,,we all learned by mistakes,,,,

Now you have a stock you can practice with before the new one comes. Also you need to sand all your metal parts, you want to get rid of all the sanding scratches. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back